Ellen Gail's Reviews > Jaws

Jaws by Peter Benchley

JAWS

Peter Benchley writes a mediocre, or average at best, shark story that is fondly remembered by most thanks to Stephen Spielberg. The book is okay, mostly sharky fun weighed down by drama at times, but it can't hold a candle to the greatest shark movie ever made.

So. Truth time. As a small child, think four or five years old, I had a very real fear of being eaten by a shark. We didn't live near water. I was too small to swim and I felt totally safe in the tub. No, these sharks were cartoon sharks who lived under my bed. They also had giant forks and knives to eat me with.

I was also scared at one time of the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, who lived in my closet. I was a very imaginative child.

Who knew as an adult I'd enjoy stories about people being eaten by sharks so much?

So, I've already said that this can't hold a candle to the movie adaptation. It just can't, okay? The movie is that good. Had I not seen the movie, I might think better of the book. Maybe. But not by much.

What drags down the paper and ink version, is the same thing that made the cinema version sing; the shark.

If you've seen the movie, (and if you haven't I'm going to politely suggest you stop whatever you are doing right now and go watch it,) then you know that it's as much about what you don't see. Even when the shark isn't on screen, the story is busy building suspense.

This is severely lacking in the suspense department. It has its moments sure, but then there's that dinner party scene where everyone just bitches and gets drunk and there's weird sexual tension and anger. Book-Ellen, is a more complex and developed character than movie-Ellen, I'll give her that. But! She's also terrible.

I just want a nice heroine named Ellen for once. It won't make drunk dudes in bars stop yelling, "Hey Ellen, like Ellen Degeneres! You a degenerate?" It's not funny and I'm not going to suck your dick. Plus Ellen Degeneres is a national treasure, so how dare you?

Anyway, despite sharing my name, I can't like Ellen Brody. She gets more development, but it doesn't add anything to the story as a whole. It just brings up these weird snippy jealousy issues and I kept wanting to be like, "You know...there's still a shark that's going to eat your tourists."

Jaws the book has good moments, but if you've seen the movie I'd say you aren't missing anything. I'll never tell anyone they can't read something, but you've basically already seen the best moments of this made even better. I liked the little details about corruption and the mob, but other than that...*shrug*

It's no "You'll never go in the water again," but I'll give it a "You'll consider a vacation to the mountains instead of the beach this year."

Oh wait. The mountains aren't safe either.

Boom! AVALANCHE SHARKS!

In a surprising twist, the only safe place to hide from the myriad of unlikely sharks is UNDER MY CHILDHOOD BED. Where I make an alliance with the hungry cartoon sharks.

It's Ellen and the UnderbedSharks vs. SyFy Channel Villain Sharks.

Coming this fall to SyFy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jaws.

November 26, 2016 – Shelved
November 26, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
November 26, 2016 – Shelved as: horror
November 26, 2016 – Shelved as: seen-the-movie
November 26, 2016 – Shelved as: yum-tasty-people
October 19, 2017 – Started Reading
October 19, 2017 –
page 179
57.93% "This would be 1000% improved by having someone yelling the danger shark music at me in the background."
October 19, 2017 – Shelved as: read-in-a-day
October 19, 2017 – Shelved as: stupid-ending
October 19, 2017 – Shelved as: the-movie-is-better
October 19, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Deanna (new)

Deanna I love this review!! Well done!! :)

Ellen Gail Deanna wrote: "I love this review!! Well done!! :)"

Thank you! What can I say, sharks inspire me :)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) This review is awesome! Book Ellen needs a kick to the babymaker. She was THE WORST! White Shark is waaaaaaay better than this garbage in case you want to give Benchley's sharkiness another go ever : )

Ellen Gail Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "This review is awesome! Book Ellen needs a kick to the babymaker. She was THE WORST! White Shark is waaaaaaay better than this garbage in case you want to give Benchley's sharkiness another go ever..."

Thank you my sharkilicious friend! Hmmmm White Shark you say? I do have an Amazon giftcard I somehow haven't spent yet. And I can't say no to anything where people get eaten.