Dennis's Reviews > Radical Evolution: The Promise and Peril of Enhancing Our Minds, Our Bodies -- and What It Means to Be Human

Radical Evolution by Joel Garreau

M 50x66

liked it

Whew!Very scary book.

I thought that the 80's was fast and furious with the internet coming of age. It pales in comparision to the what Mr. Garreau says is on the futures menu.

Mr Garreau talks about DARPA(Defensce Advance Research Projects Agency) and other agencies that are currently working on advanced technologies that will enhance our lives, or may destroy us.

Garreau talks about Moores Law, which he says is the reason that electronics capacity doubles every 18 months, and this time fram will shorten e.g. every 12 mons as we move to the future.

Garreau also discusses other concepts like Singularity,Cyberkinetics. He also gives examples for converging Technologies for improving Human performance.

After the above indoctrination to the different technologies coming on board Mr. Garreau continues on with possible future implications concerning the new technologies.

The second half of the book outlines three different possible futures. One good, one bad, and one somewere between the good and the bad.

I found it hard to follow a lot of the techno language and acronyms, but was constantly curious and kept reading.

The final stories were interesting and at the same time scary. I found I was constantly thinking that what he was telling me was already happening.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Radical Evolution.

March 20, 2008 – Shelved