Emmy's Reviews > Mystical Aria: Seeking the Gallion Queen

Mystical Aria by Jean Neff Guthrie

bookshelves: giveaways

Fantasci-fi adventure in the Pacific Ocean in 2028. (I'm sooo glad Starbucks is still reigning Queen of coffee then!)

Cover: Fabulous! You CAN judge this book by its cover!

Mystical Aria is a young teen novel I won from a goodreads giveaway, with the intention of reading it to my grand daughters, for whom the author lovingly signed the book.

The family relationships were realistic, even by today's standards. The human characters, in general, were fun and unique, with each one having a defined personality. The sibling rivalry and devotion to one another were award-winning, as were the glimpses of Tommy and his older Drake.
We even peeked at the intricate difficulties of a marriage to a serviceman.
The long-term pre-existing friendship was creatively shown and the interactions were set the mood that misunderstandings, trust, and loyalty run deep.

The alien race ... At the beginning, they seemed to be developing well and off to a good start. They started to get bland and blend together when it seemed the scene shifted to their ship. Maybe their race is more unified and in sync with one another? If so, it wasn't clear. Their actions and dialogue melted more than contrasted. Exception was the Elvis impersonator. Very distinctive.

Although their technology was advanced (as we expect in sci-fi) it lacked them sharing their world and culture. The emphasis was mimicking the human culture and its underdeveloped understanding, which is too typical and disappointing- especially when the book started off strong with tDiaries, tHTV, tVid, tBinders. In turn, it left a void in a partially built world.

As this is geared towards our younger generation, I may be a bit nitpicky.
*views of a slightly older reader*

This adventure book was charming and flawlessly written. Structure, flow, and grammar was professionally represented.

I would definitely recommend it and would pounce on another book by this author!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mystical Aria.

November 26, 2016 – Started Reading