Tammie's Reviews > Louisiana Longshot

Louisiana Longshot by Jana Deleon

liked it
bookshelves: adult, mystery, series

"CIA Assassin Fortune Redding is about to undertake her most difficult mission ever--in Sinful, Louisiana."

I was looking for something lighthearted to read when I decided on Louisiana Longshot and it was indeed lighthearted. Though not as funny as I had hoped, it did have its laugh out loud moments.

CIA agent Fortune Redding's cover has been blown and a price has been put on her head so she is sent off the grid to the tiny town of Sinful Louisiana to lie low for a while. Fortune feels completely out of her element posing as an ex beauty queen who works as a librarian and is in town to take care of her "aunt's" estate. However, not long after she arrives the dog digs up a human bone. Mishap after mishap occurs when she agrees to help a couple of seemingly innocent little old ladies, who the locals refer to as the Geritol Mafia, uncover who murdered the man. Fortune isn't just completely out of her element pretending to be an ex beauty queen, she is also completely out of her element in the Louisiana swamp country.

"As soon as I finished that shower, it was time to break out my laptop and do some reading on Louisiana. It was stranger than any foreign country I’d ever been in."

Being from there I can attest to that!

While this was a fun diversion I wouldn't go into this one with real high expectations as there isn't too much thinking involved. My biggest complaint was that most of the time Fortune didn't seem like much of an assassin to me. There were moments where her skills as an assassin did shine, if briefly, only to be dumbed down for the sake of a few laughs as she makes one unwise decision after another. I also found it hard to believe that a CIA spy would really feel that out of her element anywhere. Aren't they trained to play just about any role and to fit in just about anywhere? That's what I would have thought anyway. It ended up coming off as unbelievable. I think the story would have been much better had she just really been the person she was pretending to be instead of an assassin in hiding.

On the other hand, the little old ladies were a hoot and I loved their backstory and the town of Sinful where little old ladies make moonshine and the Baptists and the Catholics have a war going on over banana pudding. I got a good chuckle out of the names of the churches, Sinful Baptist and Sinful Catholic. I looked up Sinful Louisiana to see if there really is such a town, but there is not.

This is the first book in a series and I may read more when I'm in the mood for something silly.

Review also posted at Writings of a Reader

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Louisiana Longshot.

November 26, 2016 – Shelved
November 26, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
December 2, 2016 – Started Reading
December 2, 2016 –
page 0
0.0% "Trying this because I wanted something humorous and it's free. It's also set in Louisiana."
December 5, 2016 – Shelved as: adult
December 5, 2016 – Shelved as: mystery
December 5, 2016 – Shelved as: series
December 5, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Evgeny I have several things to say:

1. Nice review.
2. You and Jana Delion together made me eager to visit Louisiana. I mean New Orleans was already on my list of places-to-visit, but it looks like other places are as interesting :)
3. If you manage to find a lighthearted funny mystery I would very much like to know about it :)

Tammie Evgeny wrote: "I have several things to say:

1. Nice review.

Thank you Evgeny for your very kind comments! And I too would love to find a lighthearted mystery that is really funny. I'll let you know if I find one!

message 3: by Gary (new)

Gary Sundell Try the books by Leslie Langtry.

Tammie Gary wrote: "Try the books by Leslie Langtry."

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into those.