Chris's Reviews > Dork Diaries Book 1: Tales from a Not-So-Fabulous Life

Dork Diaries Book 1 by Rachel Renée Russell

Jul 05, 2011

bookshelves: graphic, humor, j, life, not-graphic

I have to admit if I were just rating this for myself it would be three stars, but I read it because I get constant requests for it from elementary to middle school aged girls and can see why they would give it four if not five stars. It hits its target audience dead on, and the fact that I didn't love it probably testifies even more strongly why they would. You might call it a girl version of Diary of a Wimpy Kid (which I gave three stars) because the style and format are very similar, but thematically I think I'd say it's even more like The Popularity Papers (which I gave five stars) and the lighter, more humorous Dear Dumb Diary (four). Overall, this trend of diary-format books that are heavy on simple illustrations and about dealing with social life in grades 4-8 is an excellent one, producing books that are accessible, funny, relatable, entertaining, and accurate. This series is no exception, and I plan to recommend it widely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dork Diaries Book 1.