Amber Garabrandt's Reviews > Come On Up to the House

Come On Up to the House by Dane Cobain

I consider this a novella with an accompanying screen play.  Due to money, the Jersey family has taken moved to a new home.  It's obvious from the get-go that the family left in a hurry, leaving much of their things behind.  Darren Jersey, fifteen, seems to be a fairly normal and adjusted kid at first.  He gets along alright with his parents, and doesn't have problems with his little brother and sister save bossing them around from time to time as all big siblings do.  As they adjust to their new surroundings, though, there are unexplainable things happening.  It seems that the house has seen tragedy.  A boy, James, committed suicide in Darren's room- and he isn't gone.  He wants blood and pain, and he finds an audience in Darren.  As Darren takes more and more of James' characteristics things start happening around the house.  The family dog goes mad and keeps attacking Darren, people are getting hurt.  The family isn't happy, and no one is safe.  Darren's mother, Alice, decides to leave the house, but will they get out in time?
                  First, it must be said that the novella and the screen play follow one another completely.  I read both, but even the author says you don't need to.  Personally, I preferred the screenplay as it seemed to move more smoothly.   Watching the change in each character was interesting.  I did enjoy watching the house, and James, change them one by one.  I was intrigued by the premise, and really liked the ending.    I will admit that there were times when actions did not make sense, or the flow of the story stalled for me.  With that in mind, I still really liked it and am giving it four stars.
            The adult content scale, is rather large.  There is violence and a lot of language.  Certain scenes are very disturbing.  This is not meant for young teens.  I give it a nine.
I received an advanced copy of this book from the author for the price of an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Come On Up to the House.

November 25, 2016 – Started Reading