Julie H.'s Reviews > Ghost Story

Ghost Story by Jim Butcher

Jul 05, 2011

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, paranormal-fiction
Read in August, 2012

I've been eager to read Ghost Story for some time and have seriously missed the intrepid anti-hero Harry Dresden since his not-entirely cliffhanger demise at the end of his previous outing. Some readers may be put off by the fact that Harry's condition/status (for lack of a better word) is not resolved by book's end. Likewise, some may feel that there was as much flashback and backstory in the book as there was forward motion. I, however, was so happy to be able to spend some time with the well-rendered and genuinely interesting range of characters in the series, that I wasn't bothered by these things.

Now I'm torn, though. I really want to know where things are headed, but also want Jim Butcher to take his time in determining what path Harry's trajectory will follow. There are so very many options available at this point, that you'd feel utterly cheated if things simply returned to what passes for normal in Harry's previous incarnations but you are simultaneously heartbroken for his close friends and animal companions Mouse and Mister who are genuinely hurting as a consequence of his loss.

Maybe author Jim Butcher will give us another short story anthology to tide us over while he works this all out? Here's hoping!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Story.