Nicole's Reviews > The Boy at the End of the World

The Boy at the End of the World by Greg Van Eekhout

bookshelves: kids-ra, science-fiction

Wowiee! Pretty hard-core science fiction for a kid's book. Very exciting. Fisher's existence really does feel lonely and desolate, and his struggle to survive seems pretty accurate (he is hungry and miserable most of the time). Click is a pretty genius foil/supporting character, kind of in the mold of C-3PO but less whiny. And the super-evolved animals made things even more interesting (though the talking prairie dogs seemed a little too easy and dangerously Jar-Jar-ian in their syntax). Some hilarious side jokes, including a baby mammoth nicknamed "Protein" and an ingenious way of incorporating profanity (because Fisher wouldn't be walking around going "aw shucks!") without actually printing it.

Some genuinely disturbing bits, especially (view spoiler) It's not age-inappropriate - I think kids really crave darkness in their books at times (I know I did), and the basic premise of the book is pretty dark and dire. I'm really glad the author didn't pull many punches.

Can't wait to recommend this to kids!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy at the End of the World.

July 5, 2011 – Started Reading