j's Reviews > 11/22/63

11/22/63 by Stephen King

Jul 05, 2011

bookshelves: 2012, audiobooks, time-travels
Read from March 15 to April 01, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 11/22/63.

03/21/2012 page 145
17.0% 5 comments
03/23/2012 page 145
17.0% "this is reminding me a lot of Replay. that's a good thing."
show 4 hidden updates…

Jason I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this one!

Vicki G I'd be interested in knowing how so many people got beyond the first two pages of the book. I read the first few pages when I was at a store, b/c I always do that w/ a book before I buy it, and it was absolute bullshit IMO.
If you don't like the first few pages of a book, at least if *I* don't like them, I refuse to buy the book. Books have become so expensive that you almost have to invest in stock before you can even buy them. I'm always thinking about price, b/c I have to.

message 3: by j (new) - rated it 5 stars

j Vicki wrote: "I'd be interested in knowing how so many people got beyond the first two pages of the book. I read the first few pages when I was at a store, b/c I always do that w/ a book before I buy it, and it was absolute bullshit IMO..."

well, I enjoyed the first two pages, then went on to read the other 847.

Vicki G What was your favorite part?

message 5: by j (new) - rated it 5 stars

j of the first two pages? ;)

i liked it because i like time travel and alternate history stories, and king does an excellent job of establishing a real sense of time and place. it took me a little while to warm up to the characters but i was very invested in their struggles and relationships by the end.

i don't quite know how you could get a read on this book based on the first two pages. they do almost nothing to set up the story, rather working to establish the first-person narrator a little bit before the book actually kicks into gear (which happens fairly quickly; this is a long book but it doesn't waste much time getting going).

Vicki G Maybe I'll read more pages then. But not at a store, I read too slow and sometimes they don't like when people read the books before knowing whether they'll buy it. One person at B&N got upset about it.
Anyway, that's what they made libraries for. You can read as far as you WANT in the books there.

Jacqie I've been interested in this one, but am scared of the time commitment.

message 8: by j (new) - rated it 5 stars

j for a 900-page book, it reads very quickly. it is a pleasure to pick up.

Jacqie Thanks! This looks to me like the best thing he's done in a while.

Vicki G Thank you for convincing me to give this book another chance. : )

message 11: by j (new) - rated it 5 stars

j glad you are enjoying it!