Daniel's Reviews > The Wreckage

The Wreckage by Michael Robotham

Jul 05, 2011

Read from July 05 to 06, 2011

Within a short number of pages, I was wrapped up in "The Wreckage." Robotham puts together a multifaceted mystery that involves Iraq, the US and British governments, terrorist networks, major banking institutions, and various competing interests from a sizable cast of characters. The protagonists are honest and earnest folk who suffer the nay-say of skeptics and the punches of opponents, and the villains are made from the same clay--just with heavy doses of greed and cruelty thrown in to make them believable bad guys. I cheered during the high points--and braced myself for the pain during the turnovers.

Robotham gets the various elements of a fictional thriller right. The pace at which he walks his story is what it needs to be. His prose is terse, clear, and a pleasure to read. He adds to the plot without excessive exposition. He describes action with a minimalism that conveys the speed and impact of events. He balances his cast of characters well, and he inserts short asides that offer just enough perspective from behind enemy lines to keep readers engaged in the overarching conspiracy.

My sole complaint: the scenes that take place in Iraq in the first part of the book are so visceral and so well written that they ended up overshadowing everything that followed in London. Should Robotham write a thriller set solely in the Middle East, I am there.

Altogether, this is a great thriller. The topical nature of the subject matter lends its story more weight; however, years from now, the structural strengths of this work will maintain its stature in the genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wreckage.

07/05/2011 page 160
50.0% "This is a great thriller so far. I am into the plot and eager to just dive in and finish this off in one more go. Soon as I get some stuff done around the apartment, that is exactly what I plan to do!"