Melissa's Reviews > Natural Hospital Birth: The Best of Both Worlds

Natural Hospital Birth by Cynthia Gabriel

This book is a fantastic resource for women wanting a natural experience, but also the peace of mind of birthing in a hospital with all the technology available in the small chance that anything would go wrong. It is empowering, accessible and smart. Gabriel's passion for birth is evident and she knows her stuff - it is a great resource for first time birthing mothers because she references so many of the natural birth schools of thought. It is also one of the first birthing books I've read that gives an extremely detailed account of not only the physical stages of each part of labor, but also the emotional stages women might go through as well.

Gabriel also has an extensive section on birth plans and why they are important. She guides the reader through questions to write a dream birth, a detailed birth plan for themselves & their support (partner, doula) & a medical team birth plan (much shorter & focused). She even recommends how to phrase certain things to ensure a higher level of respect and cooperation in a hospital birth setting.

I will soon be embarking on my second birth - in a hospital going for a natural experience. The first time, after laboring for a LONG time, I ended up with an epidural in the last couple of hours. I am satisfied with the treatment that I received, but I would've liked to make it through completely drug free. Armed with my first experience coupled with all the preparation I've been doing, I'm confident I can make it through!

It is a great contribution to the natural birth literature out there and a must read for birthing women!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Natural Hospital Birth.

Finished Reading