Rowena's Reviews > A Week in December

A Week in December by Sebastian Faulks

Jul 05, 2011

bookshelves: worthy-of-re-reads

So I picked up this book at the Gatwick airport as I was leaving London. It's my first Faulks. I was sad and all I could do to assuage my grief was book shop. I might have gone overboard. ANYWAY, this was an interesting little book. A Week in December follows the chronicles of 7-odd Londoners and the ways their lives directly and indirectly intersect. Much scathing social commentary is directed at hedge funds, reality shows, religion, book critics, the disgustingly rich, etc.

I wish I could give a 3.5. At moments, Faulks writes with Thackeray-ian verve, other moments he seems to be bemired in Dan Brown-esque banalities. No...that's too harsh. But you get my point. What did resonate the most with me, though, is Faulks' understanding of London. I felt like I actually was riding the District line, attending an art show in Camden Town, being clipped by a wayward bicyclist in Leicester Square. London breathes, seethes, vibrates in Faulks' every page. For that alone, I will surely return to his works.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Week in December.

July 5, 2011 – Started Reading