Gerri Leen's Reviews > Whedonistas!: A Celebration of the Worlds of Joss Whedon by the Women Who Love Them

Whedonistas! by Lynne M. Thomas

Jul 05, 2011

liked it

I can honestly say I'm sick of these essay books about a given TV show by people who dig the show. I am especially sick of them when they manage to be full of "all about me" essays loosely tied to the theme--in this case, any of Joss's productions. Some of these essays managed to transcend the annoyance factor: I loved Emma Bull's treatise on Malcolm Reynolds and a few others moved me (others that have faded into memory and I don't feel like looking them up). The rest were serviceable or I just stopped reading them because I got annoyed with them long before the end. There is a lot of emphasis on fandom, which is cool, but I've been in fandom, and while many are supportive, wonderful places that generate new friends--my three first-readers are all from various fandoms--the writers blithely ignore any negative aspect of online fannish life to the point where it comes off as Nirvana, devoid of politics and backstabbing. Please.

Rated: C

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whedonistas!.

Lisa (Harmonybites) the writers blithely ignore any negative aspect of online fannish life to the point where it comes off as Nirvana, devoid of politics and backstabbing.

What is this you say? We all know that we're a community of sisters, and there's absolutely no jealousy or envy or ego involved!

Gerri Leen LOL. Yeah, in the Bizarro world!

Teresa Jusino My question is - why focus on or address that aspect of it and contribute to the negative environment?

Gerri Leen Teresa wrote: "My question is - why focus on or address that aspect of it and contribute to the negative environment?"

Color me simple but I think a balanced view is a good thing.

Teresa Jusino Well, that's one way to look at it. But the purpose of the book wasn't to dwell on negativity. It's right there in the title. Whedonistas: A CELEBRATION of the Worlds of Joss Whedon By the Women Who Love Them. Going into the book expecting coverage of negativity seems strange to me. It's criticizing a book for not doing something it never set out to do in the first place. It's like criticizing a grammar book for not teaching you math.

Obviously, the book wasn't your thing, and that's fine. No book appeals to everyone. However, I'm curious about why you picked it up in the first place when the thing you didn't like most about it was right there in the title. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you picked it up, and glad you found one or two essays you liked. But still - curious.

Gerri Leen I bought it cuz I dig Joss. I thought that would outweigh my fatigue with the overall vehicle type. I was wrong.