Afaf Afaf's Reviews > Aspects of the Novel

Aspects of the Novel by E.M. Forster

I liked the book. it is really helpful for those who are interested especially in literature.
i liked the language . It's simple, in the same time, it has some sophisticated vocabulary.

Well, E.M.Forster talks about the aspects of the novel. there are about 5 chapters; each chapter contains a certain aspect:
1 story
2 people (A&B)
3 plot
4 fantasy & prophecy
5 pattern & rhythm

I'm about to demonstrate the general idea in each of them:

STORY:
the story is a narrative of events arranged in time sequence. it ask us '' What happens next''. it contains life in time and life in values. the story appeals to curiosity.
PEOPLE:
A novelist reveals the hidden life and the shown one of his characters so that you can know every single character unlike the daily life that you can't know others' hidden lives.
The main facts of human life are: birth; food; sleep; love; death.
Flat characters are simple people, simpleton. whereas round characters are the ones who are surprising in a convincing way.
Characters ask us: '' to whom it happened''
PLOT:
The plot is a narrative of events that emphasis. It asks us:'' Why it happened''.Mystery is essential in the plot,and it needs intelligence. so, part of the mind should be left behind while the other part goes on. Plot appeals to intelligence.
FANTASY:
Fantasy asks us:'' to pay something extra''. it compels us to add an additional adjustment to a work of art. It accepts the supernatural.
PROPHECY:
Prophecy asks us:'' for humility & even for a suspension of the sens of humour.
PATERN &
Pattern causes us to see the book as a whole, it's connected to atmosphere.
rhythm is the musical expression. It should not be there all the time like the pattern, it's better to be from time to time.

thanks

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aspects of the Novel.

November 24, 2016 – Started Reading
December 19, 2016 –
page 134
December 20, 2016 –
page 134
69.79% "fantasy and prophecy was the most complicated chapter for me.. but i'm making progress on it"
December 23, 2016 –