C.G. Drews's Reviews > Ash and Quill

Ash and Quill by Rachel Caine

bookshelves: 5-star, magical-fantasy, dystopian, read-2017, steampunk, ya-male-narrators, young-adult

I'M SO DEAD WITH APPRECIATION RIGHT NOW. THIS IS THE BEST ONE YET. I've just levelled up to Rabid Fan Of This Series Forever™ so please and thank you I'm just going to sit here nursing my pain and the intense wounds I've received from that brutal cliffhanger. They've just taken everything to a whole new level of mind-games-and-plot-twists and just ahhhh AHHH AAAAAAAAAAAH. I'm impressed and in love.

I have to admit the plot shone in this one! I'm still so freaking pleased there's no sequel blues and the books are just getting better and better! This plot had a lot more brutal aspects going since they're firstly prisoners in America and conditions are kind of awful. I liked that it got a lot darker. And then it turned to like a whole bunch of Slytherins trying to out Slyther each other. I'm soooo impressed. One of my favourite things of ever is to read about good people doing bad things for good. OR MAYBE NOT GOOD. WE DON'T KNOW. I'm so so excited.

*pauses for a moment to ask if has sanity*
*confirms that no, does not have sanity*

I have endless appreciation for the characters, but just a quick run down:
JESS: my favourite little book lover of them all. The moment when he busts out with the line "all houses should be full of books" I realised I want to be Jess when I grow up. And he's SUCH a cunning chap too. I love him. Cunning and kind. <3
BRENDAN: So so pleased we get more of Brendan in this one! He's such a nasty little piece of work and I lurve him.
THOMAS: The sweet pie. I do like Dark Thomas though. I am a fan.
MORGAN: Honestly, she's super irritating and suffers from "omg but I am the chosen one" syndrome so bad.
• GLAIN: Still love Glain! She's terrifying.
KHALILA: I do like her because she's powerful and smart, but she honestly doesn't ever do much. Particularly in this one.
DARIO: totally ok if he dies though.
WOLFE AND SANTI: We can just admit now that they are besssst and their love, even when Wolfe is being an asshole, is absolutely beautiful. I just cry because they didn't play a huge part in this one as they have in the previous books. Like that's literally the only downfall.

I still don't really ship Morgan and Jess? Mostly because Morgan is really self-righteous. And then they just pale in comparison to the Ship Of All Ships that is Santi x Wolfe. Plus Wolfe literally nominated himself and Santi as everyone's gay fathers. So like. There is no competing. The children need go sit down. (Also like Morgan and Jess just have 0% chemistry or trust?? It's so flat.)

HOLY SMOKES, DID WE TALK ABOUT THE PLOT TWISTS YET. The ending is so intense! I nearly faceplanted into the book for the last 50pgs because I wanted to devour it so fast. It was slippery and tricky and I loved it.

And the writing is also A+. I always feel like I've really been transported into all the settings, and I love how each book rather features a vividly described and different place. It makes the world seem HUGE. And I love it when fantasy (dystopian? IDK mate; it's a genre bender) acknowledges that there's a whole world out there. It's beautiful. And like bonus for books that say books are the best. Because that's the kind of quality content I need in my life.

ALL IN ALL: My new favourite of the series!! It deserves all the stars for it's cleverness, addictiveness, and utter ability to reduce me to smithereens at the end. I'm kind of cryinnnnng because I need book 4 and it's not. out. yet. And waiting is probably going to kill me so like I'll just have to reread and hug these books and scream a little and just WOW.

*** QUOTES ***

"I'm all right, Nic," Wolfe said, and finally looked at him. "We walked through the dungeons under Rome, survived Philadelphia, and this perfumed cage won't bring us to our knees. We're all stronger than that."
"All right," Santi said. "But don't ask me to stop standing next to you. Because you know I will, however much you shout about it."

Wolfe said nothing. He watched her walk back to the transport with Dario before he said, "Our children are growing up very well."
Santi laughed softly. "And I said you'd never make a good father."

"Delighted," Jess said. "I think all houses should be stuffed with books. It makes them--
"Homes?" the doctor finished. "You are quite the heretic, for someone in a Library uniform."
"Guilty."

Khalila sighed and stretched. "Our time is going to pass very slowly if the only entertainment is listening to you all insult one another, and they won't give us books."
"I can recite a few books," Thomas said. "If you're bored already." He began sonorously droning some desert-dry text about great ratios he'd committed to memory while the others begged him to stop...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ash and Quill.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Rachel Caine
“I'm all right, Nic," Wolfe said, and finally looked at him. "We walked through the dungeons under Rome, survived Philadelphia, and this perfumed cage won't bring us to our knees. We're all stronger than that."
"All right," Santi said. "But don't ask me to stop standing next to you. Because you know I will, however much you shout about it.”
Rachel Caine, Ash and Quill

Rachel Caine
“Delighted," Jess said. "I think all houses should be stuffed with books. It makes them--"
"Guilty.”
Rachel Caine, Ash and Quill

November 24, 2016 – Shelved
November 24, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 22, 2017 – Started Reading
page 15
4.44% "Was there ever a ship I hope to sink more than Jess and Morgan? :') Because please. Let it sink. :') :') :')"
page 126
37.28% ""I think all homes should be stuffed with books."
-- quote by Jess, my #1 darling of all literary boy book lovers omg i have feelings"
page 241
71.3% "Wolfe: Our children are growing up well.
Santi: Aw and I said you'd never make a good father.

THIS NEWS JUST IN: Wolfe and Santi just nominated themselves everyone's gay fathers."
August 23, 2017 – Shelved as: 5-star
August 23, 2017 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
August 23, 2017 – Shelved as: dystopian
August 23, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
August 23, 2017 – Shelved as: steampunk
August 23, 2017 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
August 23, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 23, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

YES YES YES

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay sorry coherent comment time. Wolfe x Santi JUST NODDING MY HEAD SO MUCH MY NECK. MIGHT BREAK. I want Jess and Morgan to be together but I agree Morgan was SO SELF-RIGHTEOUS in this one. I gave it 4 because them escaping a war-torn area gets repetitive for me and just Morgan in general. BRENDAN AFHAHAHHAHAJAJ WE GET SO MUCH MORE OF HIM AND JES and just YES okay? Definitely my new favourite of the series!!!

C.G. Drews @Ilsa: CAN WE HAVE A LOT OF BRENDAN BECAUSE HE'S SO SLIMY AND THEREFORE I LOVE HIM AND HIM AND JESS AT THE END OF THIS ONE IS 10000000% WHAT I'M HERE FOR. I'M FANGIRLING SO HARD I MAY LOSE MY LEFT EYEBALL.

Kelsey Oh this is so exciting! I just got the text that my copy is in at the library! So glad it's another one to look forward to!

may ➹ I'M SO GLAD YOU LIKED THIS ONE! i really need to get my hands on it asap (and yesss WOLFE AND SANTI).

♠️ TABI ♠️ Your reviews give me life!! and great recs to add to my neverending TBR list . . .

I thought this was a trilogy so I was waiting for Ash & Quill to come out before I read it, but now I learned it's a longer series so hey-ho here I go, ready to give my soul to another book series xD

C.G. Drews @Kelsey: Yayyyyyy!!! I hope you get to read it super soon!

@May: EVERYTHING ABOUT IT IS BEAUTIFUL AND HURT.

@Tabi: Same actually! I thought it was just a trilogy, but I'm secretly glad there's going to be five. :')

message 8: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛ I adore your reviews. I can't wait to finish book 2 and 3 of this series!

C.G. Drews @Vanessa: Oh thank you so much!

message 10: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Childs LOVE THIS SERIES. just finished this one today. Felt at home with these characters straight away. Need more!!

message 11: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Jess: Yayyy!! Desperate for the next book, right?!?

empirestatebookshelf Whenever I think that I've gotten my TBR under control again I see one of your 5-star reviews pop up... and then I sob with happiness/despair because your reviews make me want to read the book so bad... Now I have to try this series!

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Empirestatebookshelf: I'D BE SORRY BUT I'M NOT. THIS SERIES IS EVERYTHING.