Reina's Reviews > Captivated

Captivated by E.M. Jade

did not like it
bookshelves: nolibrary

Ugh!! I could not get into this book at all! I was sooo excited to read this book that I ordered it right away from amazon when I first discovered it here in goodreads. I was eager to read this book because the premise was interesting and I thought it would be a good story with a twist...but I was wrong. I had to force myself to finish this book. I was put off by the writing style first of all. And I kept on reading thinking the writing would get better, but noooo, not at all. I was so annoyed because I can honestly say most all her sentences are short and her prose just didn't, couldn't flow because of them.

"A low growl came from his chest. He lowered his head and dropped the log. The growl got louder and he showd his teeth. I was afraid to look behind me. I knew that's where he was looking. The dog started snarling. I began to shake. Flashes of cold fear were attacking my body. I slowly turned me head. It could be anything. A large animal maybe. I knew there were deer in the forest. Even bears. I wasn't prepared for a bear."

On and on it went and the short sentences didn't even add to the tension and dynamics of the plot or the story telling. I thought I could over look the writing style, but it just continued to add to my disappointment of the book, because I'm sorry to say that the problems for me did not end there.

Now, what got me really interested in the book to make me want to read it in the first place was the romance...I was looking forward to falling in love with Dean, with what all the other reviews were saying about him. However, if the main character does not even participate in the dialogue and only gives one statement answers, how can you expect me to relate to a mute who is so secretive in the story that we do not find out what he does and is by page 303 when the perspective changes to Dean? And in going back to the romance, the romantic situations were so...planned and forced that they seemed insencere. Geeze, I do not even want to go into how little I enjoyed the one-dimensional Mindy/Lina. I want to go even less in how similar the plot and stroy was to the "Vampire Academy" series, though I do believe I would have enjoyed or even tolerated the book better if it got close to how well "Vampire Academy" was done. And how predictable the story was! No surprises what so ever.

I think this is my first bad review and I'm sorry to have done it with this book. D. Apodaca, I congratulate you on your debute novel and hope you the best, though I wish I could have enjoyed your book. I have at least donated my copy of this book to my public library, so that maybe others would enjoy this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captivated.

July 4, 2011 – Shelved
July 17, 2011 – Shelved as: nolibrary
August 11, 2011 – Started Reading
August 17, 2011 –
page 358
August 18, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Jade **ATTENTION READERS** This is a review of the first edition. It is being re-edited for a better reading experience, the second edition of the ebook will be available February 17th and the paperback is being reprinted. If you'd like to be updated on the release of the second editions, please email me at d.apodaca@theafflictionseries.com. Thanks!

Celianna NO DONT EDIT THE BOOK! I LOVE THIS BOOK! Please.