Pauline's Reviews > Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson

Mar 20, 2008

bookshelves: adult-non-fiction, read-2008, reviews
Read in May, 2008

When I first started reading about Greg Mortenson and his experience in Pakistan my first thought was why is he dedicating his life to this country across the world rather then his own? The more I read the book the more I came to realize that when he was helping educate girls in Pakistan he actually was helping his own country in more ways then can possibly be studied.

I have always believed that literacy and education can change the world for the better if done in a manner to benefit the people. On the other hand education done for the entrapment of the people like the Wahhabi madrassas are instituting can severely harm the people.

The power of books and education is too strong to ignore and "Three Cups of Tea" is a perfect example of this fact.

“Three Cups of Tea” also brings to light the importance of understanding the countries culture. The traditions of these ancient cultures need to be understood and respected to be able to educate the people. We are truly blind if we think the world wants to be educated in an American way that ignores the peoples’ traditions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Cups of Tea.