Cher's Reviews > And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer

And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik Backman

bookshelves: contemporary, favorites, audiobook

5 stars - Utterly amazing.

This is a story about memories and about letting go. It’s a love letter and a slow farewell between a man and his grandson, and between a dad and his boy.

Such a sweet and touching read – easily devoured in one sitting. Backman does an amazing job of vividly putting into words the special bond between a child and their grandparent, while simultaneously displaying the heartbreaking, cruel effects of Alzheimer’s and similar diseases. It is a unique and contrasting combination of topics but the author dances between them beautifully. This story is told in simple but powerful words – one of my favorite writing styles. I particularly enjoyed how he described the world inside the grandfather’s mind; very creative and results in imagery that will not soon be forgotten.

“Our teacher made us write a story about what we want to be when we’re big,” Noah tells him.
“What did you write?”
“I wrote that I wanted to concentrate on being little first.”
“That’s a very good answer.”
“Isn’t it? I would rather be old than a grown-up. All grown-ups are angry, it’s just children and old people who laugh.”
“Did you write that?”
“Yes.”
“What did your teacher say?”
“She said I hadn’t understood the task.”
“And what did you say?”
“I said she hadn’t understood my answer.”

P.s. This will make you miss your grandparents if you have lost them, especially your grandfather(s).
-------------------------------------------
Favorite Quote: Isn’t that the best of all life’s ages, an old man thinks as he looks at his grandchild. When a boy is just big enough to know how the world works but still young enough to refuse to accept it.

First Sentence: There’s a hospital room at the end of a life where someone, right in the middle of the floor, has pitched a green tent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer.

November 23, 2016 – Shelved
November 26, 2016 – Started Reading
November 27, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Dem (last edited Nov 28, 2016 11:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem I hope to read this soon but this soon. Great review.

message 2: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Sounds great, but I will probably need Kleenex!

Cher Kleenex wouldn't be a bad idea, Jennifer. I didn't find it to be overly sentimental or Hallmark-y though.

Cher Thank you, Dem! I look forward to your review whenever you get to it and hope you love it as well.

message 5: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Oh good - I'm looking forward to it.