Cathy 's Reviews > Blood Work

Blood Work by Kim Harrison

It was really fun. It's an origin story about how Ivy and Rachel first started working together, told from Ivy's perspective. The story is great, really intriguing. A graphic novel is a grest medium for capturing Ivy's fears and longings in a powerful way, it works well. Rachel's stubbornness, enthusiasm and energy come across well too. I like that it isn't just a fluffy story to sell books, it's a significant story with a lot of history and meaning for the series. Harrison is adding a layer to the story that fans have been wanting to see for a long time, but she's doing it in a significant way. There is a lot of subtlety and layers to Ivy's tale here, it isn't just an action story or a funny odd couple anecdote. I really appreciate that there is a real, solid story here in addition to the action.

The art is pretty darn good. No one is ever completely happy when their mental images are translated into graphic novels, movies or tv shows, some of the characters always look wrong (except maybe Game of Thrones, how did they do such a good job with the casting??). But this is pretty good. Ivy is good except for some distractingly large boobs, and sometimes she looks great, really expressive and just right. Rachel makes some odd faces sometimes, but her looks grew on me. Kisten isn't as cute or charming as I imagined, but he grew on me as well. And the city and buildings were great. The I.S. offices were perfect, so run down and shabby, it felt really real. A lot of the scenes really stood out, the first page, Ivy eating a bento box in the park, the troll under the bridge, and many more. Overall I think it was the best graphic novel adaptations I've read, if you can call it an adaptation since it's really a new story in the series, just in a different format. It felt like the city I know so well and the format supported the story really well without being distracting. In addition, the back section was really enjoyable. I always like the extra sections in these graphic novels where they show some of the sketches being developed or the writers talk about their process, but this was one of the most informative and enjoyable of these type of sections I've seen as well. So all in all it was a big success for Ms. Harrison and the team and I'm looking forward to the next installation of the story.

Caveat: I just realized that I'm saying all of this as a fan of the novels that the graphic novel was based on. I really can't say whether or not this could stand on it's own as a new story for people who have never read about these characters before. I'd think that Ivy's struggles to resist Rachel, her realizations about her situation with Piscary, and Rachel's wit and strength, would be just as intriguing to a newbie, but it really is impossible for me to know when I'm so entrenched in the series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Work.

July 4, 2011 – Shelved
August 13, 2011 – Shelved as: comics-graphic-novels
August 13, 2011 –
page 16
9.47% ""Blow this again and I'll shove it down your throat, got it, Tamwood!" And with that true love is born. I'm sure no one ever spoke to Ivy like that before, or after."
August 13, 2011 – Shelved as: urban