Olivia's Reviews > In Truth and Ashes

In Truth and Ashes by Nicole Luiken
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
8488828
's review

it was amazing
bookshelves: netgalley-reviews

“In Truth and Ashes” completes the otherselves series with a story primarily set from the “True World” but with flashes of the other worlds we’ve come to know and love. Belinda is set to be bonded to the somewhat despicable Warren, who she quickly learns has been hooking up with her best friend, Violet. On True World, First Families are those who have otherselves on all mirror worlds and they participate in a binding to other First Families to continue their legacy of having otherselves on all other worlds. Once bound, their otherselves are more likely to fall in love and create the same children they will.

Belinda has been raised by her grandmother Ellona with a severe sense of purpose and duty. As a Loring, one of the First Families, she is expected to be beyond perfect and receives little love in her life. Despite Warren’s infidelity and spoiled boy behaviors, Belinda finds him attractive and thinks that they will be okay- they have to be, as she must uphold her duty. However, at the binding ceremony, the bind backfires- which only happens if one of them is already bound or she is already pregnant. Pregnancy out of the question, her grandmother punishes her for this binding of which Belinda knows nothing.

Belinda’s memory has one gap- when she was kidnapped by Qeturah’s mentor Malachi when she was just six years old. Malachi is a dangerous man, bent on destroying the mirror worlds. Belinda knows that if she is already bound, it must have occurred when she was with Malachi, so she begins the dangerous work of seeking him out to break the binding. She luckily has the help of her long-time and handsome friend, Demian. Demian has always been there for her, and now is no different. She is trying to resist her attraction to him, but it becomes undeniable as they spend more time together.

This is a wonderful conclusion to a really fun series. I found that it moved a lot faster than the previous books, likely because 90% of this one is about Belinda, so you don’t keep jumping back and forth between stories. Leah appears in the other 10% as the fire world is the weakest/one with the most issues. The otherselves appear occasionally for a short couple seconds, but I found that their stories had really been wrapped up in the past books, so it wasn’t necessary- Belinda’s was mostly untold and Leah’s needed to be wrapped up, so they were the perfect ends to the series.

Most of the book is about finding answers for Belinda’s missing memories and saving the world. I wish there had been more tidbits about her past (and current) relationship with Demian- it may have been more fun to start with when they were little, but this would break the pattern of the series. As it is, we have to imagine their history from the little memories we grasp through the book. That being said, I loved their relationship anyways.

Overall, this was a fascinating story of an alternate world told with heroism, love, and hard-work. I really enjoyed it and would love to see some novellas from this series in the future! Please note that I received an ARC from the publisher through netgalley. All opinions are entirely my own.
flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Truth and Ashes.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

November 23, 2016 – Started Reading
November 23, 2016 – Shelved
November 23, 2016 – Shelved as: netgalley-reviews
December 4, 2016 –
20.0%
December 4, 2016 –
40.0%
December 4, 2016 –
60.0%
December 4, 2016 –
80.0%
December 5, 2016 – Finished Reading

No comments have been added yet.