Eva Therese's Reviews > Zombies, Run!: Keeping Fit and Living Well in the Current Zombie Emergency

Zombies, Run! by Naomi Alderman

20945009

The app, Zombies! Run! is both a fitness app, a serialized story akin to a podcast and a mini base-building game. And this book is both a fitness and health book, a guide for surviving the zombie apocalypse and a companion book to the app. So I think it's only fair that a review should touch on all three aspects.
So how is it as a fitness book? It takes that part seriously, all of the exercises can be done and will work to improve your overall fitness. But there's also some tongue-in-cheek humour when it comes to the applications of your new and improved fitness, like the illustration of how you can use squat movements when barricading a door against the living dead. I'm fond of saying that there might be better fitness apps with more features than ZR, but ZR is the app that actually gets me out the door on a regular basis. I'll say the same about this book. There might be more extensive and in-depth fitness guides out there, but this book could be the one that actually get me motivated to do the exercises.

As a zombie apocalypse handbook, it would be impossible to not compare it to The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead but while the subject is similar and they are both very good books, they are very different. ZSG is very dark and great at instilling a sense of urgency, but also of paranoia and even despair. ZR is much more optimistic and with more humour. Its basic message seems to be "you've made it this far, you're doing great; here's what you can do next". There are of course a lot of fitness tips, but also ideas for keeping safe, building a community and what to eat.
By the way, the book club for this book, started by an employer from the company making this book, was a great addition. It made you take all the tips and apply them to your own situation and really think about your home and your neighbourhood and even yourself, in a new way. How much vegetables can I grown on the balcony? There are three bike shops close to where I live; very good. What skills and knowledge can I contribute with in a post-apocalyptic society?

Finally, it's just a really great and fun book, if your already a a fan of the app. You don't get a whole lot of background information on the zombie apocalypse or how it happened; it's sort of assumed that you already know all that, but it gives great insight into the everyday lives of people after the living dead has started roaming the earth.

I'd recommend it to anyone who likes the app, but if you'd never tried it, you might not get a whole lot from the book. In that case, you should start with the app, it's amazing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombies, Run!.

November 23, 2016 – Started Reading