Sarah's Reviews > Open Hearts

Open Hearts by Logan Meredith

I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This story about grief is a difficult but thought provoking read. Less than a year after the sudden death of his husband, Angel finds his attraction to Asim very difficult to accept. Fourteen years after 9/11, Asim is still mourning the loss of his family, his culture and his first love. Closeted Asim struggles to accept his sexuality and Angel’s flamboyant sexuality initially brings out the worst in him.

While I felt deep empathy for both of these men, I found it difficult to truly love either of them. Both men make choices that hurt each other and the people around them. Angel’s fear of commitment is realistic but it makes for a very angsty romance. Fourteen years hiding in a closet have deprived Asim of confidence and made him more than a little bit clingy. Neither man is always likeable.

The actual romance is long and slow with very little story to support the relationship. I grew a little bit tired of the hesitant, tentative relationship at times. But there were sweet and tender moments that redeemed the men and made me cheer for their relationship.

Readers will need to be in the right headspace for this story because it is heavy and dark at times. This is a sensitive exploration of grief and new love and the writer shares some important insights with her readers.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Open Hearts.

November 23, 2016 – Started Reading