♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > Under the Never Sky

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

I must admit, I had low expectations going into this. I've seen a few mixed reviews and so I was a little hesitant. I was pleasantly surprised to find I genuinely liked it. Things started a little slow (this may have been due to late night reading), trying to familiarize myself with the world and what was going on. Once I started putting two and two together, I found I was fully invested in this story.

Aria and Perry live in a world that has been destroyed by electrical storms. An environmental apocalypse has wiped out the world as we know it today. The world is divided into two groups: those who live in the pods, which serve as a protection from the constant aether storms, and those who live outside. Aria was fortunate enough to be born into one of the pods where hunger and shortages are not a problem. They have a Matrix-like existence where life is experienced in "realms" and anything is possible. They can go to any of these computer generated worlds and don't experience pain or shortage of any kind. The outside, where Perry grew up, is very different. Life has reverted into a primitive existence, groups are formed into tribes and people struggle to meet basic needs. Perry's brother is Blood Lord to the Tides, a tribe in the outside.

When we meet Aria, she is looking for information on her mother. Her mother, Lumina, is a scientist working in another pod, Bliss, and has been out of contact for over a week. Aria was in daily contact with her mother, so she's understandably concerned for her mother's welfare. After a botched attempt to gain information on her mother's welfare, Aria finds herself thrown outside, and at the mercy of Perry. She is scared and feels helpless on the outside. I won't go into an explanation but Aria and Perry share a common goal, and end up banding together, unwillingly, to achieve it. There is no love lost between these two, at first. Both believe misconceptions, heard from both sides, about the opposite groups. Gradually the wall start coming down between them and they become dependent on each other.

I admired Perry's love and loyalty for his nephew, Talon. I was intrigued with the whole concept of rendering, with the close bond it formed. I loved Perry's reaction to Aria, when she thought she was dying. It was something else completely, and his handling of it raised my opinion of him. This is a good thing, because I wasn't thrilled with his treatment of Brooke or Rose. The fact that Aria would take risks over her concern for her mother, made me like her immediately. Her determination to make the best of things, made me like her even more. There was no self-pity or whining from her, which was refreshing. The romance is this story was believable and gradual, no insta-love anywhere in site! I've always felt the sense of smell to be a sensual thing, and the thought of it as a heightened-sense in Perry, gave me shivers! Aria experiences this romance, though, as something so new and real, in contrast to her life in the realms. I loved this quote:

"They reached for each other then like some force had pulled their hands together. Aria looked at their fingers as they laced together, bringing her the sensation of his touch. Of warmth and calluses. Soft and hard together. She absorbed the terror and beauty of him and his world. Of every moment over the past days. All of it, filling her up like the first breath she'd ever taken. And never had she loved life more."

There were things I would've liked explained better in this story, but I'm hoping that the second book will help with that. Overall, I really enjoyed this story and can't wait to see what happens next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Never Sky.

Quotes ♥Rachel♥ Liked

Veronica Rossi
“In the afternoon, they stopped to eat on a rocky outcrop. Perry brushed a kiss on her cheek while she was chewing, and she learned that it was the loveliest thing to be kissed for no reason, even while chewing food. It brightened the woods, and the never sky, and everything.”
Veronica Rossi, Under the Never Sky

July 4, 2011 – Shelved
April 8, 2012 – Started Reading
April 11, 2012 –
29.0% "Finally getting into this. I don't think reading late at night helps my brain process things!"
April 12, 2012 –
77.0% "I'm really into this now. Wondering if I'm going to have a cliffhanger to huff about though. We'll see."
April 13, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)

message 1: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Rachel! Nice! I need a push on this one! Can’t wait for your updates and review! It has been staring at me from my coffee table for weeks now! Glaring even! Haha…

♥Rachel♥ Laura, I hate it when books glare! No manners!

Sam, I know, I've seen reviews all over the place on this. I'm a little apprehensive about this one. We'll see. I'm about 4% in & it seems a bit strange.

Jenny I so loved this book, i truly hope you'll enjoy it as well.

Jasprit Happy reading Rachel, I can't wait to read this one either Laura! :)

Kristina Snyder I loved this book as well. Keep reading it Rachel. It gets really good.

♥Rachel♥ I'm slowly getting into this. I don't know if it was the late night reading or the story but I had a little trouble at first. The aether, and outsiders world had me a little confused. :/ Getting better now.

Jenny ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "I'm slowly getting into this. I don't know if it was the late night reading or the story but I had a little trouble at first. The aether, and outsiders world had me a little confused. :/ Getting ..."

Yeah, i agree, in the beginning it's a bit confusing, but it gets better later=))

♥Rachel♥ It definitely got better! I'm loving it now. I'm almost done. :)

Eunice I've been planning on reading this for quite a long time but am always getting sidetracked by new books! Haha! I need more pushing too, I guess. Looking forward hearing you final thoughts, Rachel! :))

♥Rachel♥ I have like 5% more to go Eunice, and I can tell you that it's either going to be a 4 or 5 star for me. Even though it took me a bit to get into it (probably more the product of late night reading than the book), I loved it once I did. :)

Olivia--Porcrastinator Extraordinaire Definitely one of the dystopias. So entertaining and well developed!

♥Rachel♥ I agree, Olivia! This was very entertaining and well developed. I loved it! :)

message 13: by Paola (new)

Paola Glad to see you liked it Rachel maybe I will give it a try. I have seen many mixed reviews also for it.

♥Rachel♥ I really liked it Paola. I think you would too. I hope you do if you end up giving it a try. :)

message 15: by Paola (new)

Paola Me 2 :o)

Kristina Snyder I loved this book. I am glad you liked it as well Rachel. The beginning is a bit confusing, but after that you don't want to put it down.

♥Rachel♥ Kristina and Sam, I'm so happy I ended up liking it too. Plus, I'm glad there was no cliffhanger!! Yay! :)

I hope to have my review up tomorrow.

Jasprit Great review Rachel I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :)

♥Rachel♥ Thank you, Jasprit. :)

message 20: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Whoa! I believe I just found my next book! Kick-ass review, Rachel! Since this one has been glaring at me…haha…I needed a push! Thank you! p.s. I love the word—“botched”. :D Just do—can’t explain why.

Shannel I have had this in my que forever. I need to get my butt in gear! Great review!

message 22: by ♥Rachel♥ (last edited Apr 17, 2012 11:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Sam, I wanted to use another but it was a little to spoilery.

Thanks Laura!! Hehe, "botched," it's funny how certain words do it for me too. I love the word "apparently" especially when said in a British accent! I think you'll really like this one. The romance is really good.

Thank you Shannel. I was pleasantly surprised on how much I liked this one. Hope you liked it too.

message 23: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Oh, don’t even get me started on accents! Haha…Everything sounds better with an accent! :D

message 24: by Jenn (new)

Jenn @Laura- I wish there were like buttons on here so I can like your comment. lol

message 25: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura LOL! I would be on-board for that tech update! haha...I'm going to be talking with a British accent for the rest of the day now! haha... :D

message 26: by Jenn (new)

Jenn LMAO!!! Too funny. Love it!

♥Rachel♥ I swear when a guy has a British accent, it brings his HOT quotient way up! Haha!! :)

message 28: by Jenn (last edited Apr 17, 2012 02:07PM) (new)

Jenn Laura did you ever see What's Your Number? This talk of British accents makes me think about that movie. The main gal pretends to be British, I believe, and she meets up with her old English ex boyfriend and starts talking like shes from England and eventually as the night goes on her accent gets worse and worse and takes on different forms. lol

message 29: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura No! haha…. But it sounds hilarious and right up my alley! Haha…I will have to check it out. But ya know I think my British accent is pretty damn good. ;) *coughs* Yeah right! :D Thanks, Jennifer. I will try to hunt it down!

So true Rachel! SO true. My true weakness though is Australian. One word can bring me to my knees! :D

♥Rachel♥ Doesn't hurt that all those Aussie's ARE hot!!! ;) Did you ever watch McLeod's Daughters? HOT HOT!!

message 31: by Jenn (new)

Jenn She dated him the whole time and he thought she was from the same country until years later when she see's him again. She's a bit rusty. LLOLL!! It's a funny movie ...she has to meet up with another ex and he he's a GYN and he doesn't recognize her until he has to give her an exam. lol

message 32: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "Doesn't hurt that all those Aussie's ARE hot!!! ;) Did you ever watch McLeod's Daughters? HOT HOT!!"

HOT you say??!! No, but I can change that! :D & Yes! What the hell do they put in the water over there!? ;)

@Jennifer--Awkward! Haha….

message 33: by Jenn (new)

Jenn LOL! It was a blip in the movie but funny and awkward for sure!

Aussie men are hot..what about Italians and Greeks??? They have great olive skin tone and are generally babes!

Varsha Nice review!

♥Rachel♥ Varsha wrote: "Nice review!"

Thank you. :)

Basuhi Fantastic Review, Rachel !
I liked this book too :)

But, I liked Perry more than Aria..And Roar added to the levity and I liked his humor.
But mostly, I thought that this was quite original in the crowd of dystopians :D

♥Rachel♥ Basuhi wrote: "Fantastic Review, Rachel !
I liked this book too :)

But mostly, I thought that this was quite original in the..."

Thank you, Basuhi! If you loved this one the 2nd one is even better. I love that Rossi didn't add a love triangle like most YA nowadays. :)

Basuhi I have read it, and (view spoiler)

Prove me wrong, Rachel, please ?

♥Rachel♥ Basuhi wrote: "I have read it, and [spoilers removed]

Prove me wrong, Rachel, please ?"

(view spoiler) I feel horrible as well!

Basuhi Okay but she'd have to be supernatural to have got out alive :)

Why am I contradicting this probable outcome when it's so much better than the other outcome ?
I wish it's true :D