Shifting Phases's Reviews > The Having of Wonderful Ideas: And Other Essays on Teaching and Learning

The Having of Wonderful Ideas by Eleanor Duckworth

U 50x66

liked it

Some examples of classroom dialogue using Piagetian techniques, but mostly interpretation and philosophy. Unfortunately, it is exactly what I'm not looking for. from p. 1: "...I consider it the essence of pedagogy to give Kevin the occasion to have his wonderful ideas and to let him feel good about himself for having them."

Um, yes. I don't need to be convinced of this. Consequently, reading extended narratives about how people came to see the relevance of Piaget was not helpful to me. As a starting point for a conversation, for example a book group or classroom, this could be very interesting, but that's not where I'm at for the moment, so I'm putting this aside. As the authors themselves state on p. 83, "It has seemed to me for some time that teaching about Piaget... is not an adequate way to make his work helpful to teachers."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Having of Wonderful Ideas.

Started Reading