Julie's Reviews > The Cutaway

The Cutaway by Christina Kovac

bookshelves: e-book, netgalley, suspense, thrillers, mystery-shelf, 2019, atria, crime

The Cutaway by Christina Kovac is a 2017 Atria publication.

A solid debut!

This is another book that has been lingering around on my TBR pile for too long. In fact, it’s been hanging around so long the blurb was still comparing books to ‘Gone Girl’. Oy!

I think the newsroom premise is what prompted me to add this book to my list. Personally, investigative journalism is more interesting to me than standard police investigations. They tend to uncover the best scandals and conspiracies!!

In this case, an up and coming young attorney named Evelyn goes missing, catching the attention of TV producer, Virginia Knightly. Hoping that by calling attention to the case, the story might morph into positive ratings, and maybe help her exorcise a few personal demons, Virginia and her team open an investigation. But things take on a much stronger sense of urgency when Evelyn is found murdered.

Meanwhile, Virginia is fighting for her job, and those of her team, when a new station manager takes over, which makes solving this case more important than ever. However, the deeper she digs, the murkier the case becomes, and it looks as if key players may be attempting to cover up pertinent information and are purposely trying to stymie her progress. It soon becomes clear that Virginia can trust no one- and she could be putting herself directly in the line of fire.

For a debut novel, this book is pretty good. At first it was a bit dry and the pacing was anemic, but then several interesting twists upped the ante, and from there the story picked up steam.

There is a dark undertone to the story, and Washington is the perfect setting for this type of thriller. The newsroom atmosphere has a realistic quality to it, and the behind the scenes dramas were a nice touch. There were a few surprise developments on that end of things as well. I never could figure out who to trust, any more than Virginia could, and I don’t think I ever would have guessed how things would eventually turn out.

Overall, the premise and location, is what really sells this story. The author did a great job with construction, but the execution is a little wobbly. Other than that, I enjoyed the story, and I think the author is off to a good start. I hope she will try her hand at writing again someday.

3.5 rounded up

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cutaway.

November 22, 2016 – Shelved
December 17, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
December 17, 2019 – Shelved as: atria
December 17, 2019 – Shelved as: crime
December 17, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

message 1: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Super review again Julie 😘

message 2: by Julia (new)

Julia Ash Great review, Julie! It does sound like an interesting premise!

message 3: by Ceecee (new)

Ceecee Fantastic review Julie ❤️

Julie Maureen wrote: "Super review again Julie 😘"

Thank you, Maureen!! 💖

Julie Julia wrote: "Great review, Julie! It does sound like an interesting premise!"

Thank you, Julia!! It was a nice change of pace! 💖

Babydimps (Suzy) Another great review Julie! Glad you liked it! 🧡

Julie Babydimps (Suzy) wrote: "Another great review Julie! Glad you liked it! 🧡"

Thank you so much, Suzy!! 💖

Julie Ceecee wrote: "Fantastic review Julie ❤️"

Thank you very much, dear Ceecee!! 💖

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen Great review, Julie. I have so many to get to as well. Glad you enjoyed it

Julie Jen wrote: "Great review, Julie. I have so many to get to as well. Glad you enjoyed it"

Thank you, Jen!! I wish I had time to read them all!! 😁😁

message 11: by Kimber (new)

Kimber Silver Terrific review, Julie! I'm glad it finally caught on and ended up being a good read!😊

Julie Kimber wrote: "Terrific review, Julie! I'm glad it finally caught on and ended up being a good read!😊"

Thank you very much, Kimber! 💖

Susanne  Strong Fab review Julie! I recalling reading this when it came out and liking it. Glad you enjoyed it!

message 14: by RedemptionDenied (new)

RedemptionDenied Great review, Julie!

Julie Susanne wrote: "Fab review Julie! I recalling reading this when it came out and liking it. Glad you enjoyed it!"

Thank you very much, Susanne!! Glad you enjoyed it, as well! 💖

Julie RedemptionDenied wrote: "Great review, Julie!"

Thank you, RD!! 😊😊

message 17: by Tina (new)

Tina Excellent review!!

Deanna Great review!!

message 19: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Fanatic review, Julie! Sounds promising!

message 20: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Fantabulous review Julie!!💖👍💋😉

Victoria Wobbly is the perfect way to describe this, Julie. I was right with you at 3.5, but rounded down. Apparently you're more generous. 😉

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Fab review, Julie! 🎄💕