Meags's Reviews > When Skies Have Fallen

When Skies Have Fallen by Debbie McGowan

5 Stars

Yep, I’m dishing out all the stars for this one.

Beginning in 1944 in war-torn England, and spanning over twenty years, this story follows the epic love shared between British airman Arty Clarke and American Sergeant Jim Johnson.

Their story is one of great romance, but also friendship, loyalty, heartache, injustice and a necessary fight for social change.

I absolutely adored their romance, but I was slightly overcome by many of the situations Arty and Jim faced in this story. Assuming their struggles are historically accurate, I was heartbroken and enraged by some of the challenges they were confronted by throughout, but thankfully Arty and Jim obtained their own HEA by the end. On top of which, I personally feel all the more enlightened on the issues touched upon within, which is always a plus.

Impressively, McGowan shed a necessary light on the inequality and discrimination placed on LGBT individuals of that time, who often faced devastating consequences due to the prejudice and intolerance of others. Thankfully, the world has come a long way since, due to brave, altruistic individuals like Arty and Jim, who fought for social justice and the universal human right for people to love who they want to love, without judgement and fear of persecution.

When Skies Have Fallen has become an instant favourite of mine. I HIGHLY RECOMMENDED it to anyone who is after reading a poignant historical M/M romance – you won’t regret it!

P.S. It's FREE!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Skies Have Fallen.

November 22, 2016 – Shelved
June 3, 2017 – Shelved as: best-couples
June 3, 2017 – Shelved as: best-of-the-fricken-best
October 16, 2017 – Shelved as: romance
October 19, 2017 – Shelved as: freebies

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Christelle (new)

Christelle Fab review, Meags !!

Meags Christelle wrote: "Fab review, Meags !!"

Thanks, Christelle. This one definitely pulled at my heartstrings. :)