Susan Roebuck's Reviews > CassaStar

CassaStar by Alex J. Cavanaugh

I was well outside my comfort-zone when I bought this book because I never read sci-fi. I bought it because Alex Cavanaugh is such a friend and helper to other authors. So I began CassaStar with some trepidation.
How lovely to discover that my fears were unfounded. I was immersed in the story and characters right from page one.
I’m obviously no expert on the genre but, for me, the themes that ran through this were on relationships – not sexual, by the way, interaction with others, and the rights of passage for a young man who needed the stuffing knocked out of him at the beginning. The author has created some very real and likeable characters who will remain with me for some time.
Action is evenly mixed with drama. The author has created a realistic but imaginary world where just a little bit of everything is played out: jealousies, camaraderie, bravery, punishments, mind-reading and, for those avid sci-fi fans – exciting battles scenes in simmering wars where the protagonists teleport, or “jump”, in their Cosbolt fighters right smack into the action. Some survive and some don’t.
If I have any criticism it maybe a typical feminine-reader, social, one: I’d like to know more about life on Guaard (the moon base from which the Cosbolt fighters teleport off to distant galaxies) and also more about the every-day life of the Cassan people.
For me the book was an eye-opener and I’ll definitely read its sequel with interest. One final point about the plot: be prepared for a surprising ending!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read CassaStar.

Started Reading