Emer (A Little Haze)'s Reviews > Bertie's Gift

Bertie's Gift by Hannah Coates

it was ok
bookshelves: chestnuts-roasting, library-loan, read2016, for-the-love-of-dogs, 2stars, reviewed, young-adult, contemporary
Recommended for: Younger YA readers

Okay so I've read my first Christmassy book for this year...
in November.....
Please don't judge me!!! I can't help it. I'm just such a Christmas junkie!!!!!!!!

Although, I must confess that there was but one reason, and one reason alone, that I read this book: there's a picture of a dog on the front. Yup. I AM that person. I didn't even read the blurb when I saw this sitting on the new releases shelf in my local library. I just saw the dog and said 'thank you, I'll be having that!!!!!'

So this was all very cute but just a little too 'twee' for my liking....and goodness knows I like more than my fair share of twee so that's really saying something!!! The book is narrated from a dog's perspective, the titular Bertie.... He gets adopted from a shelter and has to help his new family discover the true meaning of Christmas.... Okay not EXACTLY that...but yeah, it's along those lines. Honestly if I told you anymore it would completely spoil any prospect of suspense you may have if you ever choose to read this book. It's not exactly swimming in the originality stakes!! And I don't really know who the target audience of this book is supposed to be. Is it for dog lovers of all ages or for the younger side of the YA market??? Who knows!! I guess it kinda works for both...although more for the younger teens in my opinion. Anyway! It's cute, it's sweet and it's the right kind of predictable for a Christmassy read and I spent a perfectly pleasant Monday evening in late November reading it.

two stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bertie's Gift.

November 21, 2016 – Started Reading
November 21, 2016 – Shelved
November 21, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Lola (new)

Lola haha, no judgement! (Psss I started mine in October)

Emer (A Little Haze) Lola wrote: "haha, no judgement! (Psss I started mine in October)"

LMAO!!!! Great to know I'm not alone in my love of all things merry and bright XD

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina Nothing wrong with a good Christmas read in November, just no Christmas music yet please...I'm not ready for that lol! Wonderful review!

Aj the Ravenous Reader Haha! So cute! So glad you had fun with the book, Ate Emer. Love the review. <3

Emer (A Little Haze) Christina wrote: "Nothing wrong with a good Christmas read in November, just no Christmas music yet please...I'm not ready for that lol! Wonderful review!"

LOL Christina!!! I agree though. No Christmas music until December 1st for me :)))) Xx

Emer (A Little Haze) Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Haha! So cute! So glad you had fun with the book, Ate Emer. Love the review. <3"

Thank you dearest Aj!!! You're the bestest *heart eyes*