Fabi's Reviews > Off Base

Off Base by Annabeth Albert

20663288

bookshelves: arc, kindle, mm-romance-gay-lit, published-2017, 5-star-books

Zack and Pike wrapped themselves around my heart and squeezed. I peeked into their lives and had myself an angst fest.

Pike is perfect. Simply perfect. He is patient, communicative, self-assured, kind, smart, talented, caring and fun to be with. <-- I didn't run out of adjectives, I was afraid you'd run out of patience with me. I love Pike.

Zack. Oh Zack! :-( Zack is so far in the closet that he can't even see his own hand in front of his face. He's dealing with religious fanatic parents. He's dealing with homophobic SEAL teammates. He's dealing with his own lost identity in his quest to be the perfect son.
...he was the gayest straight person Pike had ever met.

Friends in common and happy chance bring these two together. Rooming together for convenience quickly shows them their compatibility. They get along well and enjoy spending time together. When things start to warm up between them Pike needs
The reminder that Zack was most likely an otherwise straight guy who was merely curious.

Pike is out and proud and has never been otherwise. He certainly doesn't need to be played or used for experimentation. But Zack...Zack pushes all his buttons. Pike starts to care, to try to get through to Zack.
"...he knows who he is and accepts himself —these are important things too, man. I mean I get that family and your religion is important to you, but that’s not everything.”

Zack can't even imagine being out, being himself.
Zack tried to visualize a future...where he had a large friendship circle of LGBTQ friends, where he had Pike at the center of all that… and simply couldn’t. But he also couldn’t envision a life without Pike.
He puts Pike in an untenable situation. He knows he shouldn't but he can't seem to let go nor open up and reveal who he is.

What Zack had to do took great courage, but what Pike had to do took immense strength. It was heartbreaking to watch. Both sides made me sad. Both sides made me proud. Both men made me love them.

I wished for a little more towards the end. A little more time in the situation with all the characters involved. A little more detail in a couple of scenes. But overall I highly recommend this one. It's a gorgeous, hard-won love story.

4.5 stars!

Review ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Off Base.

November 21, 2016 – Started Reading
November 21, 2016 – Shelved
November 21, 2016 – Shelved as: arc
November 21, 2016 – Shelved as: kindle
November 21, 2016 – Shelved as: mm-romance-gay-lit
November 21, 2016 –
19.0% "There is a FOG of UST. :-)"
November 22, 2016 –
35.0% "My heart hurts for people in the situation Zack is in."
November 22, 2016 –
57.0% "Oh man, poor Zack. That was super duper awkward."
November 23, 2016 –
82.0% "Excuse me while I bawl my eyes out. The thought that this may happen in real life makes my skin crawl while my heart breaks.\n“No. No son of mine is a goddamned homosexual.” His father’s face had gone from red to purple as he let loose a rare curse...“We’re going to get you help.” Tears streamed down his mother’s face. “I’ve heard of places that can… make you right again. I’m going to call Pastor Wooten right now and—"
November 23, 2016 – Finished Reading
February 6, 2017 – Shelved as: published-2017
April 22, 2019 – Shelved as: 5-star-books

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Nicola Great review, Fabi. This is the first book I've read from the author and really enjoyed :)

Diana Looks like another good one!! Terrific review, Fabi.

Fabi Thanks Nicola. Yes AA made me feel for these guys.

Fabi Thanks Diana. Yup, line this one up. It's good. :-)