Amanda's Reviews > Crystallum

Crystallum by Laney McMann

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2016, read-series

I would like to thank Jagged Lane Books & Laney McMann for my copy of the ARC.

I didn't hate this book but I definitely didn't love it either. With its cringe-worthy dialogue and a leading lady who is not likeable in the slightest, I find it hard to give it any more than 2 stars.

Kadence Sparrow is hiding from the world, forever moving, never having friends or a boyfriend all due to the huge secret of what she really is. When she finally moves to a certain town, Kade never thinks she will be pushed into the arms of a Celestial Child. Confused on who is a friend and who is a foe she battles to comes to terms with her true identity.

This book was so confusing as first, I never had a clue what was going on and it went from being a young adult fantasy novel to teenagers bickering like 10-year-olds. There was out of place fights, jealous exes, jealous new girlfriends, just jealous people in general! There was more drama than there was anything else and it was pretty immature and frustrating, to be honest, it ruined the book.

Kade was likeable at the start as she was quiet and timid, it fit the story that was being portrayed to us, but all a sudden she turned into uber-bitch who was high on the insta love of her life that she met 5 minutes ago. She was also very confident for a teen that still had her full V plates and tried to assure us she was a good girl, yeah ok. She was so unlikeable I was cringing.

The book really reminds me of a knock-off version of The Mortal Instruments, which is a shame because the whole Primordial and Primeva thing could have been really interesting but it completely fell flat. I just kept thinking of Shadowhunters who can shapeshift.

I've been fighting with myself over the thought of reading the next instalment, but when I read the reviews it puts me off. I think I will put it on the back burner for the moment.

Check out my blog www.amandaminnockx.tumblr.com

"Please, go out with me," he whispered, against her mouth. "I was totally kidding."
Kade made a growling sound, kissing him again.
"Is that a yes?" He smiled against her mouth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crystallum.

November 21, 2016 – Started Reading
November 21, 2016 – Shelved
November 21, 2016 –
5.0% "Hmm seems a lot like the mortal instruments, meet in a club, fighters no one can see."
November 21, 2016 –
9.0% "What the fuck is going on lol"
21.0% "Hmmmm"
November 21, 2016 –
41.0% "I ringer if Kyle will turn to the dark side!"
November 21, 2016 –
60.0% "This is really like mortal instruments except they shape shift lol"
November 21, 2016 –
60.0% "This is really like mortal instruments except they shape shift lol"
November 22, 2016 –
66.0% "I can't make my mind up about Kade, I don't know if I like her"
November 22, 2016 –
75.0% "This is really more of a romance than paranormal."
November 22, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-2016