mathilda_craft's Reviews > The Complete Persepolis

The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

962022
Mar 20, 2008

bookshelves: comics, non-fiction, books-i-own
Recommended for: those interested in culture and politics, especially politics

Eye opening. A little confusing in the beginning. I had a hard time telling when they were talking in the past tense versus present tense, but I think I understood it for the most part.

I loved it.

It was very open and honest. How she saw things as a girl growing up in a country where it was so hard to tell who was telling her the truth. She believed her parents, and yet, at once, also believed her school and what they taught her. Such conflicts were inner as well as outer. Very potent. I loved her conversations with God and how innocent she was. It came across very well.

I know some people may have a hard time connecting with this novel, as she becomes an outsider for a long bit in the novel, but even though I never had the same experiences as her, I could compare. I knew what it felt like to be an outsider. Perhaps not to know what it was like running to the basement to avoid the bombings in their city (I can't imagine growing up in such a censored society; what a culture shock for her to be outside of that kind of environment!), but still, the idea none the less.

Very funny. I cried and laughed with just about every page. I still have so much to learn about that area of the world, but it did a good job opening that part up.

Published in France. There's no other way she could have it done. Not in her country of birth, that's for sure!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Persepolis.

March 20, 2008 – Shelved