Kim's Reviews > Dead Down East

Dead Down East by Carl  Schmidt

I was a bit leery when I started reading, concerned that it would be filled with fishing scenes, (one thing I really do not enjoy doing), but after the opening, which was written well and gave some thoughts to ponder upon, I delved into a world of politics filled with lots of secrets and suspects.

To me it seemed like Schmidt put a lot of himself into this book, from the fishing to the band, which is something I always enjoy. After reading a book like this, I want to take the writer out for drinks to see just how much of their life corresponds with the book.

The dialogue flowed really well between the characters, and his descriptions of the people and various spots in Maine, made it very easy to visualize what you were reading. The mystery itself was done wonderfully with lots of suspects, and it had me guessing until the end.

There are two things that had me reminding myself that it’s a piece of fiction, and the author can write however they want. The biggest one was where Jesse borrows a police officer’s uniform, to impersonate an officer, and the office knew about it. It’s just really hard for me to accept that, even if it was so they could catch the killer.
And the other, and this is more tongue in cheek, is having a Sauvignon Blanc with lasagna. I just can’t picture it pairing well, but that just means I’ll need to try it sometime.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Down East.

Started Reading