Sonia's Reviews > Little Hands Clapping

Little Hands Clapping by Dan Rhodes

Jul 04, 2011

I had this sitting on my Kindle for a little while, but when Amazon suggested anthropology to me and I bought, read and loved it, I thought I'd read this next!

It's brilliantly dark - I can see that it wouldn't be for everyone though.

'The Old Man' is caretaker of (and lives above) a rather strange museum in Germany. It's not exactly a 'destination', and he always increases the number of visitors to appease the museum's owner - but the quietness suits him and his strange, lonely life. The nights where spiders crawl into his mouth are the only things that really disturb him - and that isn't for the reason you might think.

After these nights, he has reason to contact Doctor Ernst Frohlicher - another solitary man, although he has his dog Hans and is extremely well-loved by all of his patients.

However, when something happens, and the relationship between the two men is brought into the open, people are left reeling.

I zoomed through this book - the characters are so well drawn - and they really do feel DRAWN, in my head, it was playing out like an animated film - some kind of bleak, macabre fairy-tale. I totally loved it.

The subject matter isn't for the faint-hearted, although it is handled in such a way that everything seems quite matter of fact, and at the point there was the first 'revelation' made, I actually had to read it a couple of times to make sure I had understood correctly.

There is so much I want to say about it - but I don't want to give the story away! Thoroughly recommend it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Hands Clapping.

July 4, 2011 – Started Reading