Ziad's Reviews > All the Ugly and Wonderful Things

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood

it was ok

I'm curious to hear an adult woman's opinion of this book, as most of the glowing Goodreads reviews seem to be coming from swoony teenagers who gave it five stars, nine exclamation points, and fifteen shitty animated gifs.

I definitely found it to be…unique…if not schizophrenic. Some parts felt keenly written and insightful, others felt heavy-handed, cliche, and ultimately not believable. Much of it was sweet and romantic, but some scenes were just gratuitously vulgar and felt gross and out-of-place.

A small part of me gets it—it's about a genuine love that transcends age and family and the law and terrible circumstances. Most of me, however, remains profoundly creeped out by the idea of a romantic relationship between an adult man and a little girl, no matter how innocently it plays out. It made me feel like a dirty old man for reading it, and I'm not someone who's generally keen on occupying the same room as a child, let alone marrying one.

I mean, I get that the concept of maturity is nuanced and adulthood doesn't just switch on magically at 16 or 18 or 21. Some people, as they say, are "old souls" and find emotional maturity well before the law says they're adults, others remain sniveling babies until the day they die. But if statutory rape laws were not written to keep traumatized little girls from falling for bar-fighting, meth-running bikers with hearts of gold, then for whom exactly were they written?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Ugly and Wonderful Things.

November 20, 2016 – Shelved
November 20, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
November 22, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Aubria Ziad, did you like this book?

Ziad I just finished it about 20 minutes ago, and I'm still not sure if I liked it or not.

Aubria Ziad wrote: "I just finished it about 20 minutes ago, and I'm still not sure if I liked it or not."

Ha Ha, you are funny... I am currently reading right now...update you later.