Deatri King-Bey's Reviews > Year of Yes

Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes

Going into this title, I had no idea what to expect. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t live in a bubble. I knew who Shonda Rhimes was. I’ve even seen the first two seasons of Scandal. But when my two gal pals suggested we read this book to discuss, I had no idea Shonda had even written a book. I don’t usually like this type of thing, so went in with low expectations. Well, I’m glad to say I was pleasantly surprised.

From the outside world looking in Shonda Rhimes had it all—a loving family, phenomenal career, in good health, no reasons to complain. Yet, she wasn’t happy.

How could someone who seemed to have everything they wanted be unhappy? Turns out Shonda is a lot like the rest of us. She had settled for what she knew she was good at and allowed fear to hold her back from exploring other areas she wanted to go. In “Year of Yes,” Shonda stopped running away and faced her fears head on.

On a side note, “Year of Yes” is written in a conversational tone that I enjoyed. It felt like she was in the room talking over a cup of hot chocolate. I mention this because the biographical self-help type books I had read before made me feel like I was reading a textbook.

Overall, I enjoyed “Year of Yes” and plan to tackle a few of my fears this year myself.

Deatri King-Bey
#CillasBookManiacs
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Year of Yes.

Finished Reading