Nerdy Dirty & Flirty's Reviews > Torment

Torment by Aleya Michelle

~CASSIE~
3.5 Stars
Torment was a raw, dark, gritty read. I have never had addiction problems, but this may have certain triggers for those who do or have someone in their lives that do have addictions.
It starts out with Willow seeing her mother being murdered in front of her at the age of eight, and doesn’t get much better in the foster care system. She is broken and fragile and also understands her weaknesses. She has an addictive personality and when she receives devastating news it sends her into a destructive tailspin. This leads her to make so very questionable decisions and even though she knows she should get out she cannot fight the pull of the addiction. These decisions put her life in danger and she is lucky to get out alive. Willow knows she has to get help and checks herself into rehab, which literally saves her life. In rehab she meets Hunter. I am not sure how I feel about Hunter. He is also reeling from the loss of his brother. He has survivor guilt and thinks the world would have been better if he had died and not his brother. His coping mechanism is alcohol and weed, which turns into heroine and he is addicted. His life is going downhill fast and while I understand why he might cope this way sometimes I want to say snap out of it. At some points in the book he just seems weak, but again I never dealt with addiction so maybe I just don’t get it. Hunter gets desperate for money and helps some people rob a store, and he gets caught and is ordered into rehab.
In rehab Willow and Hunter meet at possibly the lowest point in their lives. They have an instant connection and understanding of each other. I feel like maybe that part of their story may have been a little rushed. It was a little too much insta love for me. But, what I did like about them was the understanding they had about loss, addiction and the strength to overcome what life had thrown at them.
This was a very real and raw story and the author did not pull any punches. I felt like I got a real understanding of addiction reading this book. I do want to warn that there may be triggers in this book for people, but it was definitely a good read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torment.

Started Reading