Melissa Martin-Shaw's Reviews > The Little Voice

The Little Voice by Joss Sheldon

A deeply thought provoking read and under two-hundred pages. The Little Voice is told from the perspective of Yew who recounts his childhood and is questioning the status quo. The narrative is a blend of childlike innocence mixed with a constructive social critique that leaves you reflecting on your own choices.
The story takes us through Yew’s inner struggles with the egot during childhood, his eventual conformity and his ennui as he feels his life following the ‘rules’ has left his empty and unhappy.
I really liked how Yew was going back over his younger years with the wiser and self-aware consciousness that he got through all of his struggles. There is a heavy emphasis on education and what that means to individuals as we are given academic studies to reinforce Yew’s self-evaluation. You can’t help but learn from Yew’s experience and find yourself questioning your life and the path you have taken. Why did settle for that job I didn’t want? Why did I go to university? It was provocative in every way to cause a twenty-something reader to have a quarter life crisis about the path they are on, but the insightful and whimsical Lao Tzu quotes quell the need to immediately re-evaluate your own life and keep reading to find out where Yew ended up after his epiphany.
Overall, The Little Voice is an challenging, and stimulating read that leaves you with a thousand questions which you have to find the answer to on your own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Voice.

November 18, 2016 – Started Reading