Gemma Roberts's Reviews > The Underground Railroad

The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead

20030770

liked it

The Underground Railroad is a heart-wrenching tale of the brutal treatment of black people in pre-Civil War America, the secret route dug out beneath the ground promising hopes of escape and the harrowing story of one slave woman, her strengths and will for life despite her disadvantages.

I'm not sure where to start with this book other than by saying what a beautifully handled narrative, an important piece of history that, despite the pain and devastation caused by this period in time, must never be forgotten or tip toed over and must be taught and understood, and most importantly never repeated. For this I applaud the book. I hold it in high reverence and I genuinely did enjoy reading this piece of fiction. However, I chose the wrong time to start it (note to self, if it don't fit in with mood/ schedule don't force it to) and found myself getting lost, confusing characters and time lines and generally taking way too long to get through. I do feel that lies more on bad timing that the book itself, so perhaps one to re read in the future? I insist you pick up this novel, but give it the time it needs.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Underground Railroad.

November 20, 2016 – Shelved