Kate's Reviews > A Perfect Square

A Perfect Square by Isobel Blackthorn

A Perfect Square is a clever, thoughtful literary novel which also manages to have a cracking plot and complex characters.

This is a book that grew and grew on me. I'll admit to a false start the first time I picked it up. I felt there was a lot of moving around in the characters' heads to the recent past, the far past and then back to the present. But when I sat down with a proper amount of time to dig into the story it was an absolute pleasure. Blackthorn has a great plot and lots of writing talent. Her descriptions are wonderful - both of people and places - and there was lots of fabulous language to enjoy. I loved the two parallel mother/daughter stories and was impressed by the way they intersected. It was also great to read so much about the creative process and to consider the challenges of creativity and motherhood.

I will certainly look to read Blackthorn's other work. The Perfect Square is a clever, thoughtful literary novel which still manages to have a cracking plot and complex characters. It should appeal to lovers of psychological thrillers too - think artistic Gone Girl.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Perfect Square.

November 19, 2016 – Started Reading