Jessica's Reviews > The Song Rising

The Song Rising by Samantha Shannon

bookshelves: 2016, fantasy-adult, fantasy, sci-fi

I had a lot of trouble getting into The Song Rising's predecessor, The Mime Order, but this book gripped me right from the start - it really took the series to a whole other level!

In The Song Rising, Paige, now The Mime Order's Underqueen, has a whole new set of problems to deal with: Some members of the syndicate think she's weak or a traitor for turning her back on Jaxon Hall, so she has to prove that she's worthy of her new position; there's the constant threat of Jaxon and the Reshaim coming after her; there's also a host of new enemies, including Vance, the architect behind the Dublin massacre Paige witnessed as an eleven-year-old. However, the most pressing challenge faced by London's Unnatural community is Senshield, which is a piece of technology that enables the Archon to identify Unnaturals. While they originally thought that the technology was in its early stages, and much too bulky to be widely implemented, after a number of disappearances, it becomes apparent that the Senshield technology is much more advanced than they thought. So, in order to protect the Unnaturals in her syndicate, Paige must find and destroy the source of the Senshield's power.

There were so many amazing things about this book. The pacing was absolutely perfect. When I read The Mime Order, I had such a hard time getting through the first half, because it felt like nothing was happening, but I definitely didn't have the same problem with The Song Rising! From the very first page, it was pretty much non-stop excitement. Even though a lot of the book consisted of Paige travelling from one place to the next, in search of Senshield's core, it never once felt boring.

Although I loved the plot, I had mixed feelings about the characters. I think that the only one who really showed any development was Paige. Yes, she's the main character in a first person narrative, so that's to be expected, but I would have liked to see a bit more of the other characters. In addition, none of her relationships with the other characters developed very much at all.

In all, I was completely blown away by this book, and I really hope I don't have to wait over two years for the next one!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Song Rising.

November 19, 2016 – Started Reading
November 19, 2016 – Shelved
November 22, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Mackenzie (bookish_black_hole) ahhhh so jealous you got an ARC!! so glad to hear you loved it and I can't wait until this is released!!!!

Jessica Mackenzie (bookish_black_hole) wrote: "ahhhh so jealous you got an ARC!! so glad to hear you loved it and I can't wait until this is released!!!!"

There's a novella coming out next month, so that should help tide you over a bit until March!

steph // bookplaits I wasn't that impressed with book one, but this sounds like I need to try book two and three (when it's released)!

Jessica Steph // bookplaits wrote: "I wasn't that impressed with book one, but this sounds like I need to try book two and three (when it's released)!"

I liked book one, but didn't really like the second book until I was pretty far into it. There are a number of things I don't particularly love about the series, but the plot of this book was great!

steph // bookplaits Jessica wrote: "Steph // bookplaits wrote: "I wasn't that impressed with book one, but this sounds like I need to try book two and three (when it's released)!"

I liked book one, but didn't really like the second ..."

Interesting... Also, I am glad they changed the covers back! (At least, I think they did?!)

Jessica Steph // bookplaits wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Steph // bookplaits wrote: "I wasn't that impressed with book one, but this sounds like I need to try book two and three (when it's released)!"

I liked book one, but didn't really ..."

They didn't change them back, but there's a signed special edition that matches the original covers. :)

steph // bookplaits Jessica wrote: "Steph // bookplaits wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Steph // bookplaits wrote: "I wasn't that impressed with book one, but this sounds like I need to try book two and three (when it's released)!"

I liked ..."

Oh! I seeeee.

message 8: by Denise (new) - added it

Denise I think there isn't enough of Warden in TMO - hopefully there is more of him in TSR ....