tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > Popular Entertainments

Popular Entertainments by Philip Corner

liked it
bookshelves: art, fluxus, music

Philip Corner is someone who's never made much of an impression on me. However, I take it for granted that anyone published in a Great Bear Pamphlet probably WD make an impression on me if I knew more about their work. One thing that grabbed my attn (where did it take it?) in this is the program notes for a performance of "Popular Entertainments": check out this list of participating musicians:

Cyrelle Forman
Meredith Monk
Steve Reich
Takehisa Kosugi
Charlotte Morman

Scratched out are Henry Flynt, John Herbert Mac Dowell, & Terry Riley. Their participation wd've made the list of players even more astounding. I'm not familiar w/ all these people but many of them are reknowned for their work on their own or in connection w/ specific ensembles & I don't necessarily associate them w/ a collaborative effort like this. A remarkable combination of talents combined here probably both b/c they were all friends w/ Corner & b/c they were still young enuf to not be completely stuck in their solo groove.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Popular Entertainments.