Barbara (The Bibliophage)'s Reviews > Between the World and Me

Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates

bookshelves: politics-and-the-world, social-justice, own, resistlist, 2017, litsy-a-z-2017

Had I read this book in the summer of 2016 instead of the winter of 2017, my read and review would have felt different. It would have been slightly more upbeat and less concerned. But that's not how it happened. I read this book at a time when human rights of all kinds are at risk in the United States. When we aren't united, but divided. What I learned from Ta-Nehisi Coates will benefit the resistance I do on behalf of all lives during the next few years.

This book was meant to educate and enlighten Coates' teenage son, and it certainly did so for this middle-aged white woman. Coates is equally eloquent and raw in his description of the peril black people face every day in their own country. He lays out the historical basis of slavery, but doesn't let white people off the hook because the Union won the Civil War. As he phrases it, black bodies have been at risk as long as they've been here on this soil. It hasn't stopped, even with a black President.

I was struck by the connection between the things I may take for granted, and the backs of slaves on which that economy was built. It's true, but no one teaches it quite this way in the world of "those who believe they are white." Well, now Coates' readers know.

Coates' story of his college friend's death at the hands of a black police officer is also deeply moving. It gives an emotional and event-based construct to everything he writes.

I have a long list of books to enrich my perspective of this topic, and I'm glad I read this one first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between the World and Me.

November 19, 2016 – Shelved