Anita's Reviews > Dream Chaser

Dream Chaser by Angie Stanton

3202140

bookshelves: young-adult, theater, cheerleading, romance, coming-of-age

I picked up Dream Chaser this week due to a recommendation by Lenore over at Celebrity Readers, because while Lenore and I don't always read the same style books....we usually do. As is probably evident by the [lack of] activity on my blog, I've not only been having a difficult time finding moments to read/blog, but I've also found myself in one of those inevitable reading slumps where every book you pick up and start gives you that, 'meh' feeling. I've even been having a difficult time getting into audiobooks recently - and listening to audiobooks while I work is one of my favorite things! Regardless, I think the slump has been broken, because on Saturday November 19th I read not one, but two books in their entirety. Granted, I was also pretty sick and allowed myself to be confined to the couch for the day...but still.

What I Loved: I wouldn't pick up a book about cheerleaders on my own, not because I have something against cheerleaders, but because most of the ones I have picked up have come off so very cliche in the 'cheerleader' personality of the characters. I just couldn't get into them. Dream Chaser was not a cheerleader book, it was more of a theater book. I'm so glad I allowed myself to read past the beginning to discover this. I adore most theater type books.

Willow was also not the typical 'over achiever' character. She WAS an over achiever, apparently single-handedly throwing the cheerleaders into National Championship winner status, and also good enough to be thrown into the leading role of a musical that was already several weeks into practices - so yes, definitely over achiever. However, she struggled with subjects in school, and her self confidence was really pretty low. She was humble and recognized that while she may be good, in both of her activities she realized the important part of being just a part of an entity. She understood the value of practice and hard work, and just work ethic in general.

The chemistry between Willow and Eli is what really had me devouring this book. Their history as best friends and former partners really helped to play into the tension that built between them. I loved their director, Tyson's, little comments regarding this tension, and his role at helping them overcome their past.

Another favorite part is that regardless of how awful Jilly and the rest of Willow's friends were treating her because of her decision to move on from cheerleading, I'm glad that this wasn't a transfer from one group of friends to another, and that there was some healing and understanding that started to happen.

Every time I think that I'm done with this section, I remember something else about the story that I love....Willow's family is AWESOME! I loved their support and understanding. I think that my favorite scene is when they come home and catch Willow and Eli on the couch. ;)

Not So Much: I feel like the gravity of Willow's cheerleading accident was either overplayed at the beginning, or underplayed throughout the book. She could have easily died, and yet so few of the cast of characters of this book seem to really take that into consideration when dealing with Willow about her decisions or fears. I also think that something like that would take you out of the 'game' longer than half a week.

The Verdict: This is everything I could have asked for in a 'sick day' book. It was entertaining, passionate, fun and serious at times. I even shed a couple tears... I'm so glad I picked the book up and started reading almost immediately. This book is clean and perfect for your teens!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dream Chaser.

Started Reading