Laura the Highland Hussy's Reviews > Lord of the Wolfyn

2043222
Jul 03, 2011

Read from August 26 to September 04, 2011

3.5 flames

In this third installment of the Royal House of Shadows series, we see a Little Red Riding Hood theme. Our heroine Reda is a cop who froze during a robbery, causing her partner to get shot (she feels the weight of guilt and blame of his death, feeling she is such a coward). So she has since taken a leave of absence from the force, and is instead hunting down a painting and book. We enter the story as she gets the book.

We are given little snippets and hints that her mother gave her this one of a kind book about Little Red Riding Hood when she was a child, then told her all would become clear once she was 16. But her mother died, and her non-nonsense father felt that any little bit of magic (the dreams about the book Reda had) was bs. So Reda was shoved in therapy. In the book, there’s a picture of the wolf prince who always seemed to have Little Red in a trance, a sensual haze so to speak, as if she were brainwashed (Reda’s reasoning not mine). Then there’s the woodsman. Oh the sexy sexy woodsman. What will it take for Reda to understand that Dayn is both?

Dayn is Nicolai and Breena’s brother, and in his prologue, he is every bit the spoiled prince. But he overhears the battle through his father’s mind-speak, and carries that guilt that due to his selfishness, his family died. Well, really, he just wasn’t there to fight, that’s all, but he sees it the other way. In fact I got really tired of being “told” he was being/acting selfish, when I felt he was behaving normally. This was a common theme throughout the book, which it bugged me so much. Just as Reda’s cowardice is constantly thrown in our faces-it was obnoxious. Either show me she’s a coward, or show me she sees herself as one, but don’t keep telling me she is. I find it hard to see a female cop as coward. She should have had a different profession. So, Reda’s back in therapy, because not just her partner’s death, but the dreams of Little Red are back. But she’s drawn to the book, she couldn’t stop searching if she tried. And once she reads the book, she ends up in Dayn’s world.

Dayn was thrown to the Wolfyn realm. He has hidden his identity from the vampire-hating Wolfyn, and has instead stayed low on the radar. But he knows his guide is coming and once she’s there, he’ll have 4 days to make it to his ancestral home to take it back. But Dayn holds more than just his identity secret, his Big Secret (which is spoiled in the blurb of the book-not cool) causes Reda to have a massive freak-out. And that’s where I stopped liking her. It really made me mad. She had come a long way, and then she reverted to her “cowardly” self. I spoke with a friend of mine and we both felt that based on what we, the readers, were given, Reda’s behavior was unreasonable and confusing. Her brainwashing and entrancing issues were not well-done, so it felt confusing. I had to figure out that her problem with the Wolfyn was that she didn’t want to be entranced.

I did really like the ending, and the set up for the coming battle...you know, THE battle. The one each book has been gearing up for. I liked how Reda finally grew up, and I liked Dayn. Hopefully he can unite the Wolfyn and the Vampires.

**ARC courtesy of netgalley.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Wolfyn.

08/27/2011 page 9
08/31/2011 page 32
11.0% "So if Lord of Rage was Goldilocks, and this one's Red Riding Hood...which fairy tale was Lord of Vampires?" 3 comments
09/02/2011 page 65
23.0% "oh get over it already! it's real, he's real, you're there, now deal." 4 comments
09/02/2011 page 91
32.0% "Do any netgalley users have problems with formatting with the Harlequin and Carinapress books? blank pages every now and then, tiny print followed by large print...stuff like that?" 3 comments
09/03/2011 page 214
74.0% "I'm told over and over how selfish the hero is, yet I don't see it. He's not being selfish, he's just normal. It's confusing since every time its mentioned, I keep feeling like I'm missing something." 4 comments
09/03/2011 page 288
100.0% "4 stars. Liked the ending (or non-ending if you will). The 4th book will be really interesting." 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) What do you think so far?

Laura the Highland Hussy I like it so far, but I'm not that far into it yet.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish How's it going? I'm having a hard time. I like the story, I love Dayn, maybe I'm just tired.

Laura the Highland Hussy I'm where she just met Dayn and he's beaten the three-headed ogre. I like so far :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Oh, ok. I'm over 70%

Laura the Highland Hussy I'm around page 100 now and I really like it-I also like how Reda finally realized it's not some freaky hallucination

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I'm writing my review. When are we supposed to post this one? 1 month out?

Laura the Highland Hussy Thereabouts. I'll probably post mine soon too :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, I know that some of the publishers want us to wait, and I haven't been paying attention *slaps self on wrist*

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Laurie, I'm really struggling with this review. Do you mind if I PM you with what I have for your input?

message 12: by Ren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ren I give this just 3 stars =(.. Irritated with Reda, and some important part are missing...

Laura the Highland Hussy I agree, and I think this whole series had the potential to be GREAT!! but fell just short of great and hit at good.

message 14: by Ren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ren This book is the weakest, IMO :/.. So far my favorite is Lord of Rage =)

Laura the Highland Hussy I am just starting lord of the abyss...did you finish it?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Oh, thank heavens I'm not alone! I want to read Lord of the Abyss so badly, but I just don't want another book like this one.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Ren, This is a 3 star for me, too.

message 18: by Ren (last edited Sep 12, 2011 09:25PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ren Laurie : I still request Lord of The Abyss. Its took a long time for Netgalley to accept my request.. Maybe because I don't have a blog :-[

UM : *high five* LOL.. I have faith for Nalini, she will write Lord of The Abyss better than the previous books.. And then, I hope the conclusion not "meh", like Raintree series

Katie Michaels I just finished Lord of the Abyss. It was definitely my favorite, followed by Lord of Rage.

Laura the Highland Hussy Good to know. I started it just now.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I better hurry and request it, yeah?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Great review, Laurie. You did seem to like this one a bit more than I did, but I agree with your comments!

Laura the Highland Hussy thanks :) I liked the hero more than you did, and I liked the Red Riding Hood aspect, but yeah, Reda, a female cop who is a coward? I get the freezing during a robbery, and that shaking your foundations. I do. But nothing about her personality showed any form of police training at all. It felt like a convenient career just so we could see she's supposed to be brave but isn't.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Yeah, I felt like she was too wishy washy and unstable to have been any kind of cop. What we were given didn't jive up with what we were supposed to believe about her.

Laura the Highland Hussy yep. I actually was doing okay with her up til Dayn (view spoiler) That pissed me off. I mean, she had to believe he'd tranced her or whatever because no way would she ever sleep with him otherwise. *gag*

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I know! She was two totally different people depending on the situation, and that just didn't work. I didn't see the reason for her wishy washiness (for lack of a better word)

Laura the Highland Hussy but what's such a shame is that I think the potential was there. The writing was good, the hero (IMO) was good, the storyline was good...but not being able to relate to/understand the heroine? I can't get into the book.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish That's what I said in my review. I loved the writing. It was easy to follow, easy to read and understand. I do think there was potential, but it just wasn't met.

I didn't dislike the story, in fact I did like it, just not as well as the others.

message 29: by Ren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ren Laurie and UM, its just me or what, but there are no mention of "time piece" in Lord of Wolvyn, while we know Nikolai and Brenna always take it with them. Maybe Dayn's time piece was lost?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I thought there was talk of it, Ren. I can't recall specifics, but I think it was mentioned... maybe Laurie will recall better.

Laura the Highland Hussy You know what? I can't recall. I think that we'll find out all about them in lord of the abyss though.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Laura the Highland Hussy wrote: "You know what? I can't recall. I think that we'll find out all about them in lord of the abyss though."

Lord of the Abyss... hmmm.. the name sounds familiar... where have I heard it before... Oh YES! I remember! That's the book that netgalley still hasn't approved me for!!!!

message 33: by Ren (last edited Sep 21, 2011 05:21AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ren Laurie, its bugged me, because just in this book, there no mention of "Time Pieces", and that thing are important, because the time pieces are the clue which will unite Nikolai and his brothers =/

UM, LOL! Don't worry, they're not approved mine yet =(

Laura the Highland Hussy UM-LMAO!! still haven't heard yay or nay?

Ren-I wish I could remember :S

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish No yay or nay yet, even after request #2. Shouldn't I have heard SOMETHING?

Ren, did you get it yet?

message 36: by Ren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ren Laurie,I hope maybe you'll remember about the time piece when read Micah's story

And UM, nay.. =(