Jeanette's Reviews > A Death in the Small Hours

A Death in the Small Hours by Charles Finch

Charles and Lady Jane spend some time away from London and Parliament. They are in Somerset with Charles' cousin Freddy.

This was a scrumptious adventure, filled with precise traditions, town peoples' foibles, all kinds of vandalism and misplaced loot or evidence. And yet it was at the same time, extremely warm. The Lenox baby daughter, Sophia, making it even more so. Adjusting to a baby, little quarrels, and the conflicts of work. Even in the the Victorian period, the town versus country argument also enticing to the answers. Or who gets more time- the family or the career?

This series was somewhat cozy and I thought super mild, possibly overly so? But the more I've read of it, the better I like it. Not so much simplicity in parsing to both the best of family or community, but rather that point is set in the primary. Secondary being the mystery angle or crux of oppositions or "the worst"- the criminal, cruel or merely non-fit for their own purposes or enhancements.

This #6 was entirely enjoyable, it never dragged. And the length was needed, because there are really duo plots and layers of reveal beyond the original crimes. So many tidbits I never knew told along the way. Like the tradition of leaving buns wrapped in brown paper sealed with black wax, left in the pews for the villagers upon the funeral service of a lord or master of the manor/lodge. And the magistrate/ judge structure for the small towns. Who was held for inquiry or trial and for what. Especially for the local teenage "bad" boys! Consequence- the sentences of punishments for their expensive pranks or foolishness? Send them out to muck the gardens! And who is second in command as a kind of under sheriff? Of course the head gardener.

I'll be reading more of these, for sure. Charles and Jane really fit for the era. They are Victorians.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Death in the Small Hours.

November 19, 2016 – Started Reading