Eirene Ritznore's Reviews > Lost Souls

Lost Souls by Dean Koontz

Jul 03, 2011

Recommended to Eirene by: eirene@eirenee.com
Read from July 05 to 10, 2011 — I own a copy

Dean Koontz is in high form. Wit coupled with an intrinsic ability to delve into the human heart and write the words written there, Koontz creates characters which are simultaneously real and endearing. Even if the characters are in the book for a few pages only, they are full and vivid. To encounter an author who is able to do that on a continuous basis is a treasure.

This is the forth book in the Frankenstein series which began as a co-authoring venture, and by the third novel, became a Dean Koontz project solely. The last three took place in New Orleans. This is a change of pace. Most of the novel takes place in Rainbow Falls, Montana, with a slight detour to San Fransisco to pick up the staple characters of Carson and Michael- the NOPD officers introduced in the precious three books. Deucalion, arguablely one of the coolest creations of Koontz, is also in the book, utilizing his unique understanding of the quantum nature of the universe (quite possibly one of the coolest explanations for teleportation I have yet to run across). Erika Five and the disgusting, yet lovable troll-like Jocko appear as well.

I did not think that I would like the continuation of a story that seemed to be final and concluded in the previous book, but the explanation for the continuance was plausible and revisiting the characters of old, as well as meeting a multitude of new, was great fun.

Dean Koontz does justice to Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, delving into the various implications that she was merely toying with on a basic level in her book. Utilizing the different ideas that science has already developed, this book is not merely a piece of light fiction, but one that challenges the reader to think about the full impact of the new developments that are taking place in the name of science. A friend of mind once said," Just because science can do it, doesn't necessarily mean that it should be done." I kept thinking about this statement throughout the reading of this book. It seems that Koontz too has thought about it.

In truth, this is not a cultural or literary critique, though you may find yourself pondering interesting thoughts and ideas. I think this is a perfect summer read, but only after you have read the first three books in the Frankenstein series. Although this book does stand alone, paired with the first three, it is excellent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost Souls.