Lori's Reviews > Sirens

Sirens by Joshua Mohr

bookshelves: arc-reviewers-copy, signed-by-author, indie-must-haves, nonfiction, authors-ive-met-irl

Those who know me know that I don't typically go in for non-fiction or memoir but this is Joshua Fucking Mohr, one of my major small press author crushes.

Being asked to read Sirens was like being given a backstage pass into Mohr's mind - how could I turn down the opportunity to roam freely inside his head as he breaks down his long and complicated relationship with drugs and alcohol?

This is not just a story of recovery, but one of acknowledging that the demons never die. And of celebrating every moment of sobriety like it's the first one. And of living in fear of relapsing but of loving something outside of yourself so fucking much that it gives you the strength to laugh in the face of that fear and reduce those demons to dust right before your very eyes.

It's funny and fascinating and, yes, at times so ridiculously sad, because it's so many of the friends I had back in high school and it makes me wonder where they are now and if they were able to kick their habits and make good lives for themselves or if they fell under the spell of their drugs of choice and got sucked in so far that they couldn't claw their way out.

It's a letter to junkies that its never too late, and that sometimes, as silly as it sounds, love really does fucking conquer all.

It's Joshua's love letter to himself and god damn if it didn't make me fall all that much more in love with him, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sirens.

November 18, 2016 – Shelved