Deanna J's Reviews > The Little Voice

The Little Voice by Joss Sheldon

Nov 22, 2016

bookshelves: arc

I received a copy of this book for an honest review.
Stars: 4.5/5

This strange interesting book is about a man named Yew Shodkin, and the struggles he's faced trying to fit into society. It's told in first person, and is addressed to the reader. Yew tells his story in a chronological order, and begins with his childhood, and an interesting creature that Yew calls "egot." The egot lives inside of Yew's mind, and he's always there whispering that he knows what Yew really wants to do, such as act like a savage rather than sit in a desk. The egot claims to know what will make Yew happy--despite the consequences.
While the egot plays a role in this story, it's not the main focus(although in a way it kind of is). Yew has other things to face such as adulthood, conformity, and other obstacles that life tends to throw at us.

What I liked

-Yew. There were times that I found his thoughts to be so relatable. Depression. Anxiety. Feeling lost. Everyone feels those in some way, and at some point. The author connected that well in his writing.

-The psychology references. I'm a senior Elementary Ed major with a content focus on sociology/psychology, so I have a lot of information rattling around in my head, and it's clear the author did his research, and he explained everything very well--especially positive and negative reinforcement. Bonus points for that.

-The depth. I wasn't 100% sure what I was going to get with this book, but once Yew reached his adult years the emotions shared felt so real.

-The egot. Definitely interesting, although I couldn't help but think of 30 Rock's character Tracy Jordan talking about EGOTing (weird connection I know).

What I didn't like

-The beginning. The book was interesting from the start, but it didn't flow as well at first as it did in later on. It seemed to take a little bit for the book to hit its stride with the overall flow of things.

-The dialogue in parts of the book. I know this is "dear reader" type book so it's more retold from the character than actually happening at that very moment, but some of it seemed very unrealistic at times.

-Exclamation points. Lots of those!!!!

Overall, I did like this book. It's not for everyone. It's a little quirky, and different, but those that like it is for will feel that connection to Yew, which is good. The book isn't too long either, which makes it a good dose of melancholy without getting too overwhelming or drawn out.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Voice.

November 18, 2016 – Started Reading