Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)'s Reviews > Falling Kingdoms

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, why-the-hype

2 Stars

Overview:

description

This series is often hailed the ‘Game of Thrones for YA' and because I haven’t read/watched GOT, I can’t comment on the comparison.

I can tell you the similarities. They're both fantasy series involving a large cast of characters, murder, magic, and backstabbing. Also incest! Here, however, the overarching story focuses on the intersecting lives of Cleo, Jonas, and Magnus as war blossoms between their nations.

Pros:

There were several deaths I didn’t expect! Most didn't feel senseless and still pushed the story forward, while also adding a threat of danger that made everything more exciting.

The history of the three-lands and their opposing views of the same goddesses was very interesting to me. In fact, most of the mythology in this was intriguing and I wish it had been expanded upon.

I thought several characters have potential. I actually liked Cleo? She was definitely a little spoiled, but I could already see improvement. I really liked Lucia and Nic as well. Lucia’s story is arguably the most interesting, and I appreciated how well she stood up for herself/loved ones.

None of the characters are 100% morally good and some teetered anti-hero territory. This wasn't carried out well, but it was something I appreciated.

Cons

Why did Alexius only have like three chapters? Why were they only 2 pages long? Why was his POV even there if it didn't impact the story at all??

I never really connected with any of the characters. I understand their motivations and how I’m supposed to feel—but mainly because Rhodes reiterated it 50 times. For example:

“I hate them. I’d kill them all for a chance of a life like their's.”

"He had spent time in her bed, listened to her gossip about her friends, to her stories about her hateful snakes, all in an attempt to gain the chief’s confidence so that he might convince him to rise up against the Auranians and take what should have been theirs.”

Everyone’s motivation is explicitly stated. There's no guesswork or showing anything through actions. It was boring and made even worse when motivation would rapidly change. A character went from soley seeking revenge to clamoring for war, then a few chapters later he was advocating for peace.

And somehow everything is so convenient? Jonas is able to talk freely with the leader of his country, the first person Cleo interacts with in a new country is able to give her the information she wants, everyone is blinded by Cleo’s beauty, apologies are made and accepted through the aid of cute rabbits, etc. Quite a lot was just unbelievable occurrences pushing the plot forward.

Prologue was completely unnecessary and gave away what could have been a cool plot-twist.

The writing itself wasn’t great. Sorry, not sorry. And I've listed my three biggest problems with it.

1. There was a lot of stitled dialogue:
“Paelisan scum,” he snarled as he raised his sword “Die you maggot!”

“Tell my mother I love her. And that I did this for her.”

“The princess isn’t in her room. She’s nowhere to be found!”

2. Repeated wording. Certain phrases were consistently reused every few chapters:

"A muscle under Sabina’s right eye twitched, almost imperceptibly." Then a few chapters later, “A muscle in Brion’s cheek twitched.”

3. Clunky sentences with a lot of filler words. Take below for an example, did we really need so many ‘that’s and ‘had’s??

“I had no idea that the difficulties between the lands would result in conflict like this. I spoke with King Gaius, who told me that he had [spoiler].”

It was never horrible, it just wasn’t great.

In Conclusion

Oddly, I really enjoyed reading this! No doubt because this was a Buddy Read with these awesome people in a fun fantasy league: Bentley, Mary, Frankie, Jeremy, and Rachelle. <3

They are all awesome, and their commentary made the whole thing worth it!

Taking a little break before we move on to the second book, and I saw potential here, so maybe it’ll be better?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling Kingdoms.

November 18, 2016 – Shelved
November 18, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 15, 2017 – Started Reading
page 43
10.44% "Really enjoying this so far! Interesting world and characters."
page 43
10.44% "Really enjoying this so far! Interesting world and characters."
page 64
March 26, 2017 –
page 116
28.16% "King Gaius is creepy AF"
March 26, 2017 –
page 137
33.25% "Interesting world so far! :)"
April 1, 2017 –
page 187
45.39% "Read more with the group this week! Hoping the plot starts to pick up a bit more now that we've been introduced to so many characters and the wold."
April 8, 2017 –
page 243
58.98% "Dang it, I think I might like Magnus now."
April 13, 2017 –
page 301
73.06% "I feel like such a sadist, because the chapters with all the death in them are my favorites so far. But DANG"
April 29, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
April 29, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
April 29, 2017 – Shelved as: why-the-hype
April 29, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

*dabs*

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Solomon wrote: "*dabs*"

omg. hahhaha

description

Elise (TheBookishActress) whenever I see a review of Fallen Kingdoms I have to scroll through to see Solomon comment that

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) He's nothing if not consistent. Lol

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

SORRYNOTSORRY LOLOL

Angela Auten Aron deserves much more than falling into a pit of sharp objects...

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Angela wrote: "Aron deserves much more than falling into a pit of sharp objects..."

Definitely. But we gotta start somewhere, right? xD

Angela Auten Kaylin wrote: "Angela wrote: "Aron deserves much more than falling into a pit of sharp objects..."

Definitely. But we gotta start somewhere, right? xD"

Hehe that's true!!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Solomon!!! *shakes finger at you* lol

Elise (TheBookishActress) ugh, sorry it wasn't your thing! This squad did not have good luck, lol

Ahmed  Ejaz Whoa!!

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Elise wrote: "ugh, sorry it wasn't your thing! This squad did not have good luck, lol"

We really didn't. I don't think you missed much, though we were sorry to lose you!

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Ahmed wrote: "Whoa!!"

I know! I wanted to love this, and thought I enjoyed it more than I did. It wasn't until I sat down to write the review I realized most of what I enjoyed with the BR, and not the story itself.. :P

Twila Hey, at least you enjoyed yourself reading this! Even though it was because of your friends and not the book =)
Great review!

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Twila wrote: "Hey, at least you enjoyed yourself reading this! Even though it was because of your friends and not the book =)
Great review!"

Thank you, Twila! :) They are a great group!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Omg Kaylin excellent review!! I agree everything was stupidly convenient & that the prologue could've been a really interesting twist revealed around the halfway point! But honestly the construction of this book is a mess I think Alexius would agree haha!

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Omg Kaylin excellent review!! I agree everything was stupidly convenient & that the prologue could've been a really interesting twist revealed around the halfway point! But honestly the constructio..."

Thanks, babe! This book had a lot of potential, but so much of it was just a mess. #HelpAlexius2k17

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Solomon wrote: "YOOO all these bad reviews for this book are swaying me away from it (even if the cover has someone dabbing) Great review as always Kaylin!!!!"

I don't think our group enjoyed it too much, that's for sure. I actually have no idea who is on the cover or why they are dabbing with two daggers. 0.o
Thank you, Sol! :)

Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net Great review Kaylin! I totally agree with you about the stilted dialogue. Some of the melodramatic moments were so painful to read. Honestly, I think you're right that a lot of it was just plain boring. The only bits I found entertaining were the deaths, and only barely. It was definitely our group chats each week that pulled me through. xD

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Thank you, Bentley! :) There was a lot of cringe-worthy dialogue. 🙄 Enjoyed the group chats much more than the book!

Mel (Epic Reading) I'm surprised you didn't like this one based on others reviews. I haven't read it yet but appreciate your review. This helps me temper my expectations some. Thx!

Gudrun Saga I read it a few weeks ago and I completely agree with you! You were able to put it into words.

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Mel (Epic Reading) wrote: "I'm surprised you didn't like this one based on others reviews. I haven't read it yet but appreciate your review. This helps me temper my expectations some. Thx!"

I'm surprised too! I enjoyed it at the start, because I thought most everything was building up and I was excited for where it was going, but I just didn't love the follow-through.
I hope you enjoy it more than me!

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Gudrun wrote: "I read it a few weeks ago and I completely agree with you! You were able to put it into words."

Thank you, Gudrun! Sorry you didn't love it either!

شيماء ✨ oh man, i didn't like this either, the writing alone gave me a goddamn migraine

Jeremy Awesome review Kaylin!!! :D

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) ➹dammitbrekker wrote: "oh man, i didn't like this either, the writing alone gave me a goddamn migraine"

Sorry you didn't like it either! The writing definitely wasn't for me.

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Jeremy wrote: "Awesome review Kaylin!!! :D"

Thank you, Jeremy! <3