DC's Reviews > Secrets of the Heart

Secrets of the Heart by Kahlil Gibran

This is a book of 11 pieces, a mix of short stories and poems. They're all characteristically of a beautiful language - beautiful in the sense that they all seem a little too... ornate, too flowery. (I suppose it's the writing style that dominates that part of the world?)

Nevertheless, the themes quite surprised me. I see here breaks in tradition, calls for change, intriguing endings. These are not your usual stories - these are stories that are meant to wake something inside you, making you remember that there's something quite not right in the world. Indeed, there's a strand of activism carefully weaved in *almost* every piece.

Few pages, great read. Nice food for thought :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets of the Heart.

July 3, 2011 – Shelved
July 1, 2012 – Started Reading
July 1, 2012 –
page 32
43.24% "The language is flowery; it reminds me of The Beginning and the End (Mahfouz). (Is that really how the writing style is in that part of the world?) At any rate, it's flowery, but it's interesting. It's maka-masa. It's challenging, it's human. Interesting."
July 2, 2012 –
page 66
89.19% ""Man has worshipped his own self by appropriate titles, until now, when he employs the word 'God' to mean that same self.""
July 2, 2012 –
page 74
100.0% "Hah! Can you define 'mindfuck'? Assumptions must be left out the door, if one plans to read these stories. Amazing."
July 2, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos Yes, Khalil Gibran does that. I love this man! ^_^

And another yes, I have a thing for ornate, flowery writing.

message 2: by DC (new) - rated it 4 stars

DC You do? What kind of thing? If positive - then it would be quite a comparison to your adoration of Ernest Hemingway's terse compositions ;)

message 3: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos My liking for flowery and ornate writing applies only to Miguel Syjuco and Gibran; from there nothing follows. Haha! :D

message 4: by DC (new) - rated it 4 stars

DC Huh... Bakit kaya unang sumagi sa isip ko ang paborito kong quote ni Sherlock Holmes?

An exception disproves the rule.

(From The Sign of Four. Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exceptio... )

Hahaha! Pero 'di pa ako nakabasa ng Syjuco D: I will SOON! (Yay Ilustrado!) Salamat sa "recommendation" muli :D

message 5: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos Isa lang masasabi ko about reading Syjuco's book: Good luck!

It'experimental fiction at it's best, written by a Filipino nonetheless. (^^,)b